stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What the Bible Says About: Serving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Jesus Christ came to earth to be a servant. Dying on the cross for the freedom of our sins is the greatest act of service anyone could do. In the book of Matthew, Jesus explains the importance of serving others. In Matthew 20:20-28, the mother of the two disciples John and James came to Jesus to ask for a favor. She wanted Jesus to give her sons special positions in his kingdom. Jesus explained that it was up to God to decide the positions of people in the Kingdom. Jesus then went on to state the importance of being a servant, “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave.” Jesus is saying that the greatest joy and success comes to those who willingly serve the Lord and others. That story ends with Jesus saying that even he, who lived a perfect life, came to serve his people; “Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Our Savior put others before himself, and he calls us to do the same. The greatest act of love is to serve.

God has given each of his children different talents and gifts that are to be used to bring Him glory and serve others. In Romans 12, Paul reminds us that all believers make up one body. Each child of God has different gifts that are to be used to strengthen the body of Christ. By using these gifts, such as teaching, leading, encouraging, giving, we can humbly serve one another. In 1 Peter 4, Peter tells us how we should use our gifts to be stewards: “Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.” He then continues to explain how God will provide us with the power to serve in order to give God the glory: “If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ,” (1 Peter 4:9-11).

God also wants us to serve joyfully. If the Holy Spirit is working in us, we should have the desire to serve God and serve others. The Lord wants us to give our heart and soul to him so that he can use us to do His will and build His kingdom. God is love, and if His Spirit is dwelling in us, we should want to love our brothers and sisters in Christ. Serving is the greatest demonstration of the love that God pours out to us. Let’s share that love by committing our lives to being servants of Christ.

Biblical References

“How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!” (Hebrews 9:14)

“But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.” (1 Samuel 12:24)

“Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.” (Romans 12:10-11).

“And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought.” (1 Chronicles 28:9)

“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” (1 Corinthians 15:58)

Hi I'm Amanda! I am a Public Relations major at Susquehanna University. My passions include fitness, food, and my faith. My goal is to create content that can influence others in a positive way!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University