What the Bible Says About: Adversity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Trials and tribulations are inevitable. They cause us stress, anxiety, pain, and discomfort. People may think they have to struggle through these difficulties alone, but there is a higher power who is always with those who believe in him! The Bible provides believers with the hope and promises that God’s children will never have to go through anything by themselves. We are taken care of, and the hardships have been lifted off our shoulders.

If God is with us, helping to carry our burdens, then why do we have to go through times of suffering? God has a plan. While we may not know his reasoning behind all situations, we know that he has the power to turn bad times into blessings. The Bible explains how these hardships are used to build our faith, trust, and reliance on Christ. We can look back on these difficult times and see the Lord’s extraordinary power. Nothing can conquer us with the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling within us.

So what does God call us to do in times of suffering? He wants us to be thankful no matter what because he will take care of us. We can look to God to find restoration and strength. The weaker we are, the more God uses his power to help us overcome. It is during these hard times that we see just how blessed we are to have a Heavenly Father who is here for us always. God wants us to talk to him during these times. Constant prayer provides us with peace, and God sees prayer as a way of relying on him. While we might stumble, God will never let us fall. Just remember that Jesus came to earth and gave his life up for us. He endured extreme amounts of pain because he loved us so much. If Jesus can go through the suffering of dying on the cross, then what can’t he conquer? If you are going through any trial or tribulation, put your hope in Christ. The Holy Spirit is with us always. Understand that God will never give us more than we can handle!

Biblical References:

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)

“Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never allow the righteous to be shaken.” (Psalms 55:22)

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2-4)

“And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.” (1 Peter 5:10)

“The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” (Exodus 14:14)

“Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:2)

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

Hi I'm Amanda! I am a Public Relations major at Susquehanna University. My passions include fitness, food, and my faith. My goal is to create content that can influence others in a positive way!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University