This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Since the semester is officially underway, many people are starting to feel the pressures and stress of homework and studying and preparing for ridiculous assignments. Obviously, people cope with stress in many different ways. I, personally, overthink everything until I cry, and then I sit outside and listen to sad music until I feel better. I’m not saying that this is an effective tactic, but it is one, and so are the rest of these techniques.

Sleep

There are two different ways to cope using sleep; you either sleep for twelve hours or four hours. Twelve hours works because your body is so overstressed and exhausted that it refuses to get up for anything. I love this one. Four hours also works because it doesn’t allow your body to rest fully. Then, when you wake up, your body is all kinds of messed up, but in a really awake way that will lead to a complete crash later.

Eat Fried Food

I know, fried food is so unhealthy. Blah, blah, blah. If you even feel like eating at all when you’re stressed, then you’re probably not human, but the best way to get your body to eat is with unhealthy things. This past weekend, for one of my meals, I went to Sheetz and bought mac & cheese bites, mozzarella sticks, and onion rings. You gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

Watch YouTube

I would say watch any kind of video, whether it be Netflix, regular TV, or YouTube, but I think YouTube is probably the best. The videos on YouTube do not require you to become emotionally attached to any characters, and most of them are less than half an hour long. Smosh, for example, has recently turned into an actually funny channel, and I highly recommend watching their “Try Not to Laugh” videos. Good stuff.

As you can tell, I’m not good at this thing called “coping,” so I don’t actually recommend that you do anything I’ve mentioned above (except for Smosh, seriously). Be healthy and cope in a way that isn’t detrimental to your wellbeing. And if you figure out what that is, please let me know.

Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.