‘Tis the Season for 31 Nights of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I am willing to bet that I speak for a lot of people when I say that autumn is one of the best times of the year; autumn brings cool weather, comfy sweaters, changing leaves, and most importantly Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween movie series. Below I have ranked my favorite 31 Nights of Halloween movies, so make sure to check them out!

1. “The Addams Family” and “Addams Family Values” are both campy, morbid comedies that are sure to get you into the spooky mood, but won’t have you hiding under your blanket or scared to turn off your lights. “The Addams Family” is the story of the Addams Family and the patriarch Gomez Addams’s beloved brother Fester, who had been missing for years. Fester returns, but Morticia and Wednesday Addams are skeptical of Fester and his regularly visiting therapist’s intentions… is he even the real Fester? In “Addams Family Values”, we find Morticia and Gomez expecting a new member of the Addams Family. After kids Wednesday and Pugsley make many failed attempts to harm the new little Addams, Morticia and Gomez decide it is time to send them to summer camp and hire a new nanny. While the kids are in their own personal hell at summer camp, the new nanny takes a liking to Fester. Morticia senses something off about this new nanny, but Fester falls head over heels and learns the hard way that love is not always what we wish it is.    

2. “Hocus Pocus” is a capital C Classic Halloween Movie. Bette Midler sings and there is a really cute cat, so I can’t see why anyone would pass it up. The sleepy town of Salem is woken up by the resurrection of the Sanderson Sisters, renowned suspected witches from the colonial times. Max, Dani, and Allison all race to finish the sisters off for good, with the help of Sanderson Sisters’ victim turned black cat Thackery Binx. 

3. “The Haunted Mansion” has Eddie Murphy, ghosts, comedy, and horror… what could be better? Eddie Murphy plays Jim Evers, who decides to take his wife and kids on a vacation. True to his workaholic form, they stop to visit a property he is trying to sell. It turns out that the mansion on the property is haunted by the owner, and the family becomes trapped. Through their escape efforts, Jim Evers discovers the heartbreaking story behind the haunting of the mansion and comes to realize that he needs to hold his family close.  

4. “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is a Tim Burton classic. The artistic flare and symbolism that Burton portrays is astounding, and the plot will make you think about the holidays a bit differently. Pumpkin King Jack Skellington is going through a mid-life crisis of sorts, if you can even say a skeleton has a life. Jack stumbles upon the world of Christmas, and tries to bring Santa back to his town so everyone will see what the “outside” is like.

Anna Leeds

Susqu '23

My name is Anna Leeds, I am a Publishing and Editing major at Susquehanna University.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University