This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

There is nothing more loyal than the relationship between a stylist and their customers. I keep going back to the same place even if it is a state away just because my stylist knows my hair. But the thing about this relationship, the hairstylist is also asking me questions. She asks me how I am and what I’ve been up to. Now, that might be normal, but it makes me wonder what it is like to be a stylist.

So I reached out to my friend Dan Grau. He’s currently a stylist at Hair Tech Hair Studio. During high school, he began getting more interested in fashion and makeup. It was not until after graduating high school that he began to pursue going to beauty school. Since then, he’s been cutting hair for people, and he’s found himself some loyal customers.

As I wanted to get to know more of his perspective, I thought it would be interesting to share with others. The people who cut your hair are human beings too. I loved hearing how much pride he had in his job, and I hope everyone else does too.

Tell us about yourself and what you do at your job!

My name is Dan, I am a licensed cosmetologist for two years now. I am a hair stylist, makeup artist, and brow shaping specialist at High Tech Hair in Northeast Philly. My goal is for everyone that comes to the salon to leave feeling like their most confident, beautiful selves.

What have you learned while working in a salon that you did not learn during your time in beauty school?

There are a lot of things I’ve learned in the salon than at beauty school. Beauty school gives you the foundation of education in the beauty world, but salon life shows the reality of it all. I have learned how to speed up services, more modern color application techniques, and advanced elaborate hair-cutting skills. Not only did the salon show me how to perfect my craft, but also how to create the ultimate guest experience in the salon. Customer service plays a big role in this industry.

What qualities should a person in your profession have? Why?

Certain qualities I think someone needs in this industry are dedication, confidence, and being able to multitask. In this industry, you have to have the dedication to make it because it is not just about making someone pretty. It is constantly learning new things, finding people to grow your clientele, coming in early, staying late, and even working on your days off for people. In this career, you don’t ever really “clock out.” You also have to have confidence in yourself and your skill set. Doing someone’s hair or makeup takes a certain skill set that you have to be able to proudly show off that you can do, to make guests feel comfortable coming to you/ coming back to you. Lastly, if you can’t multitask, you will struggle. In the salon, you are doing a lot of things at once, whether it is taking multiple clients at a time or balancing conversions while working on your guest, or getting everything clean in the salon while balancing the clientele.

What brightens your day about your job?

My career is very fulfilling. Every time you show a guest their new look, and they light up in the mirror, it reminds me why I do what I do. The feeling is indescribable.

What obstacles do you face when working at the salon?

Obstacles I face in the salon is the overload of work. From cleaning, and washing dishes, to doing wash, folding towels, and balancing guests. The main obstacle though is really getting to know what your guest is asking for. The consultation is the most important part of any beauty service.

What is something you wish people understood when it comes to your profession?

Something I wish people understood is that this career path isn’t as easy as playing with someone’s hair. People don’t know the science behind hair, the process of formulating hair color, and knowing the color wheel. People don’t know that hair has underlying pigment that stylists have to be aware of to create the right color. Something people also overlook is how tiring it is on your body. You’re constantly standing, working with your arms and hands, straining your back, and overall exhausting the body.

What was your most memorable makeover/haircut?

My most memorable makeover was taking someone from black box hair dye to a beautiful dimensional brunette balayage. It took three sessions to get the client where she wanted to be. All the hard work to remove that black pigment was well worth it after seeing how happy my guest was with her hair.

This was a really fun interview to do. I think some of us take advantage of our hairstylist’s care for us sometimes. They are real people too, and this is just one perspective. They work hard for their clients, so please treat them kindly.

If you are around the area and need a haircut, check out Dan’s Instagram page. His page is a portfolio of people who he has gotten to work with. The before and after of each post are quite amazing. If you are really interested, the link to set up an appointment is in his bio!

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.