The Return to In-Person After Graduating Virtual High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Just yesterday, I was sixteen years old, preparing for my Spring concert and my SATs when everything began to shut down. Today, I’m well within my third week of college, typing up assignments alongside articles. I had become accustomed to the world of Zoom classes, cancelled events, and crocheting during boring lectures. The last time I took a proper, in-person exam was nearly two years ago. That is, until last Friday.

Starting school again after months of a virtual education can be daunting, especially for those of us who are also making the transition from high school to college. We hear a lot of advice, and it can be near-maddening to sort through it. To those of you in this position, and to those who may be in the future, here are some tips that have gotten me through it.

Make time for yourself

Coming into college, I never put much thought into matters of self-care. Now, after only a few weeks of classes, I recognize self-care as one of the most important aspects of everyday life. Things get stressful, especially as classes, social and professional responsibilities, and everyday drivel add up. Eating right, getting some sun, and taking your meds on time won’t cure you of stress, but it will make you feel a lot better. If you’re like me and you already have a schedule packed with classes and clubs, write some pre-planned free time into your schedule. After all, if it’s in the planner then you can’t ignore it, right?

Most importantly, if you find yourself overwhelmed with stress, homesickness, or with any concerns over your mental health, reach out to your campus counseling center. You would go to your professor with concerns over an assignment, and going to CAPS is no different.

PRioritize your classes

Of course, while prioritizing your health and wellbeing is imperative, prioritizing your studies is important in equal amounts. We’ve all come too far to start slipping behind in our coursework.

Find out what works best for you. Within the first few weeks of classes, experiment with your schedule. If you focus best when you complete your homework at night, do that. If you find that mornings are more your style, get your work done as the sun rises. In the coming years, select courses that align with the period during which you’re most productive, if your requirements allow for it.

Organization is another major component of prioritization. I’ve found that keeping a planner (and updating it weekly, in accordance with syllabi) and a task-tracking app has kept me on top of my endless reading assignments. A list of what I need to do for each class is taped beside my calendar, ensuring that I don’t forget anything that I need. However, anything can work in the place of my lists, such as spreadsheets, reminders on your phone, or anything that reminds you of what needs to get done. With the right organization and a fixed schedule, everything runs a little bit smoother.

KEEP in contact with your support

It hasn’t even been a month yet, and I’ve already gone to my parents daily with updates on my classes. Having someone to dole out advice, to listen to your concerns, or to simply hear you out can make your college years so much sweeter. Your support system can be anyone, and it’s never too late to make connections. Whether it’s your RA, counselor, relative, or classmate, having someone to rely on can take a weight off of your shoulders.

Remember: you’re gonna be fine

On my first night at Susquehanna University, students were called into an assembly about the mental health services on campus. The part that I remember most distinctly—and the part that I want to convey the most—is when the Director of the Counseling Center told us that we were going to be fine. It was four simple words, and yet it was everything that I needed to hear as I sat in that auditorium, scared of what laid ahead. “You’re gonna be fine.” I pass the same message to you, dear reader, who may or may not be returning to in-person learning for the first time in years. It seems overwhelming, the prospect of tests, lectures, and a sea of responsibilities. And, it is. But regardless of it all, our strength comes from within, and through it anything can be overcome. After all, we survived and continue to prosper through a world inundated with misfortune. We are so much stronger than we give ourselves credit for, and always remember that as you walk the grounds of your campus.

"No woman was ever ruined by a book." – Jimmy Walker