This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to travel and study in Alicante, Spain, during my Spring semester as a junior in college. It was certainly a highlight during my university years, and I made so many memories that I’ll never forget. I lived with a host mom while taking classes at the University of Alicante, and for a small city, it had so much to offer. Here are some of my favorite places I’ve visited:

1. El Castillo de Santa Bárbara

The castle is very beautiful, and the sights are amazing.  We had a tour guide who walked with us throughout the castle and provided the history behind the architecture and design decisions. Although it’s a bit of a hike, the castle is within walking distance, which is a huge perk of living in a small city. You can see a clear view of the ocean when you’re at the highest points. Although, a little word of warning from experience, it can get pretty windy and chilly at night if you go during the winter!

2. La Playa del Postiguet

I was super excited to live only a ten-minute walk from the beach. La Playa del Postiguet is a very popular beach in the city, and one of my favorite things to do during my stay was scenic beach runs and looking out at the ocean when the sun was rising.  Although the weather was too cold to swim, it was nice to be able to enjoy the beach without the flood of tourists that come during the warm weather. It was also mild enough weather to meet up with friends during the nighttime to enjoy a little late-night picnic with wine and snacks. Since this beach is very popular with tourists, there is a lineup of restaurants right next to it. One of my favorites was Cien Montaditos.  It is located so that you are almost right on the beach when sitting outside, and on Wednesdays and Sundays, Cien Montaditos has a promotional day where you can get almost all of their menu items for one euro. Even if you don’t go on their promotional days, their Sangria can be enjoyed for three euros for a tall jug, which I assure, was absolutely delicious. 

3. La Explanada de España

This is very popular with tourists, and it’s essentially a walkway surrounded by palm trees. You can also walk the path to explore all the shops and restaurants around the city. I, for one, discovered that gelato is arguably better than ice cream. Not only is the Explanada a gorgeous location to take pictures for the socials, but on Sundays, vendors set up their stands on the side. On Sundays, most stores are closed, so it can be a relaxing way to spend some of your day exploring unique souvenirs and crafts. 

4. El Palmeral 

If you’re looking for a little place to hike, then El Palmeral is the perfect place. It’s a park filled with palm trees, waterfalls, and a lake. My friend and I walked there, but it was a little on the longer side because of where we lived, so it ended up being a 45-minute walk. It was totally worth it though because of the beautiful sights and the tranquil atmosphere, especially when the sun is shining. I would definitely recommend it as a great location to picnic and soak in the rays. 

I’m positive there are more amazing places in this special little city that I haven’t covered, but from personal experience, these were my favorite. Happy traveling!

Desli is a luxury brand marketing and management major who enjoys music, thrift-shopping, running, and has a major coffee obsession.