This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

With Thanksgiving just under two weeks away, it’s that time of year to reflect on everything that’s happened and what we’re truly thankful for. Although it can be easy to get caught up in stress, pressure, loneliness, or even sadness at times, remaining thankful and thinking about all of the things you’re grateful for remains a way to fight off these intense feelings. A quote I once heard that’s stuck with me all these years later and remains a family motto, “You cannot feel depressed if you’re grateful”. While this may not be one-hundred percent true for everybody, science proves that focusing on gratitude can help people fight off feelings of depression, anxiety, and sadness. Perhaps hearing why I’m thankful can help or inspire you to list what you’re ultimately thankful for.

When thinking about what I’m grateful for, the first thing that immediately comes to mind is my family. I have a smaller immediate family, and we’ve always been close to each other. When I’m feeling stressed out, confused, or frustrated, they’re the ones I can count on and rely on for advice and support. Additionally, I’m thankful that my family is so dependable and supportive. At the beginning of this month, I felt pretty sick and overall disoriented, which made me feel overwhelmed and even more anxious. My dad drove to my campus one night so that I could get checked out by our family doctor at home the next day. But it was my mom who instructed him to do so because she could tell by my voice that I wasn’t feeling well. It was honestly a pretty scary and nerve-wracking time because I didn’t know if something was seriously wrong with me or if I would feel even sicker. I’m grateful that my parents took time out of their busy schedules to pick me up and take me to the doctor. I’m thankful for my good health as well and that my sickness wasn’t anything severe or critical. Overall family is there when you need them, for the most part. And in return, you do the same for them. That’s why family is so important: you have each other’s backs during both good and challenging times.  

Additionally, I am extremely thankful for my educational opportunities. Studying at a private college like Susquehanna University is sadly not something everyone gets to experience. Many people do not have the opportunity to further their education or to go to college at all. I am very thankful and proud that I am able to gain knowledge and work on my career goals by attending college and working on my bachelor’s degree in journalism. While it’s easy for us to complain about college, the exams, assignments, quizzes, we should focus more on the positives and the fact that we get to attend college at all. Since tuition is so expensive, it’s worthwhile to make the most of it and to try your best since you’re the one paying for your education. I try to do my best in classes and join clubs that I’m passionate about. After all, there’s more to college than just classes. There are several positive opportunities that can come from being in clubs and from getting involved. I’m grateful to be in the position I’m in thus far and hope to continue to reach my career goals and aspirations. 

I’m also grateful for the little things. Whether it’s seeing my dog or two cats when I’m home on break, watching a good Hallmark movie, or even getting my favorite Starbucks drink on campus. I think celebrating the little things and appreciating those moments can make you feel better and happier. People tend to focus on big moments, but the little ones are just as important and make for great memories and stories. There are inside jokes with friends and family, eating your favorite dessert, or just listening to your preferred artist (mine’s Taylor Swift). Whatever it may be for you, the goal is to appreciate and cherish those times. I’m thankful for the little moments that happen every day because they make me feel happy and ground me back when I’m feeling stressed out and overwhelmed by everything.  

Overall, life can have you feeling all different types of ways depending on the day and situation. Sometimes happy, excited, sad, lonely, anxious, enthused, burnt out, and every emotion in between. It’s a fast-paced world that becomes hard for everyone, no matter who they are. But as Thanksgiving approaches, take some time to unwind and think about what you’re thankful for and why you appreciate it. Although it’s a small thing to do, it really does put things into perspective and makes you feel happier. Whether you write a list out in a journal, talk about it with family and friends, or even just think about it to yourself, take some time to consider what you’re truly grateful for right now at this point in your life. I promise you will definitely feel better and more positive after doing so. This Thanksgiving, relish in the memories and little moments in between. Those little moments with loved ones, friends, and pets, are truly what makes life magical.  

Gabrielle Chaudry is the president and editor-in-chief at the Her Campus at Susqu chapter. She oversees the editing of articles. Beyond Her Campus, Gabrielle has written for The Quill, Susquehanna University's student newspaper and she has been editor-in-chief of her high school's newspaper. Gabrielle is also a section editor of Susquehanna's yearbook, The Lanthorn. She is currently a senior at Susquehanna University, majoring in journalism with a political science minor and honors minor. In her free time, Gabrielle enjoys writing, reading, and listening to pop music. She's a Hallmark movie lover and finds joy decorating for the holidays and seasons.