This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Hilton Head Island, located in South Carolina, is a bustling vacation spot during the summer months. The island is rich with activities and sites to see and has an overwhelming list of restaurants at which one can dine. Some range from high-end, relatively costly dinners to local pizza places; one thing remains the same: they are all delicious. The trouble with vacationing for a week or two is that there are far too many options and so little time, which is why I’m going to inform you of the top restaurants you should visit while enjoying your stay at HHI. 

10. Aunt Chilada’s, 69 Pope Ave., Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928

Coming in at No. 10 is Aunt Chilada’s. A run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurant, it’s nothing extraordinary, but their “Spaghetti and Meatball,” as my dad and I call it, is a classic dish that one can enjoy any time. But beware of the food quantity- the birth of “Spaghetti and Meatball” came about when I was a young child. I had ordered spaghetti and meatballs, but when the dish was served, I was presented with a single meatball amidst a saucy sea of angel hair noodles. Needless to say, expect nothing more than one meatball when ordering said dish. 

9. Mangiamo Pizza, 2000 Main St. Hilton Head Island, SC, 29926

Relatively cheap and easy to find near the northern half of the island, Mangiamo is one of the few pizza places on the island that consistently makes tasty comfort food. The pizza is a staple and a terrific option for your first night on the island, especially considering you’ll be arriving hungry, irritable, and in need of sustenance immediately. With a sit-down or take-out option, you can enjoy Mangiamo on-the-go or in the restaurant; either way, you’ll get your fill. The wings, though not as delicious as wings at the Wild Wing Cafe (which is now out of business), are large and covered in sauce. I can’t promise you won’t have stomach issues afterwards, in the moment, you’ll most definitely enjoy the wings. 

8. San Miguel’s, 9 Harbourside Ln, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928

Located in beautiful Harbor Town on the southern end of the island, San Miguel’s is another Mexican restaurant that deserves your attention. Inexpensive with an expansive menu, San Miguel’s is a cute, casual dining option to try out, and visiting Harbor Town is the perfect excuse to try it out. They have indoor and outdoor seating options, and should you choose to sit outside, you will be rewarded with a wonderful view of the docking area that harbors (pun intended) a boatload (also intended) of ships. Typically, on a seasonally warm day, tourists and locals can be seen frequenting the area, and it’s a lively scene should you choose to go. 

7. Poseidon, 38 Shelter Cove Ln, Shelter Cove Towne Center, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928

Shelter Cove is a shopping center that holds a collection of stores ranging from creameries, to art shops, to restaurants. An all-time favorite place of mine to spend an hour or two, Shelter Cove offers one of the best places to walk around and meander from store to store while enjoying the hot summer sun. Poseidon lies just on a corner near the center of Shelter Cove. Though there is an abundance of seafood on the menu, there is an equal amount of salad and burger options, so fear not, seafood haters! There is a dinner for everyone, and the restaurant is always swarming with people ready for a mid-afternoon meal under the cool canopy reserved for outdoor seating. Similar to San Miguel’s, the setting provides half the enjoyment, and the food the other. A very energetic and active scene, it’s 100% worth spending an hour dining at. 

6. Bullies BBQ, 3 Regency Pkwy, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928

Slightly dark and hot inside, it’s not necessarily the kind of place you’d want to dine-in at, however, take-out is always an option (and the one I’d recommend)! My family (which includes six members) typically gets the Family Dinner, which includes a plethora of meats, ranging from pork to ribs, a hearty box of jalapeño cornbread, mac and cheese, and coleslaw. Though it does not look like much from the outside, considering its off-white, run-down appearance, the food quality delivers shock-value to patrons. The employees are friendly, and the food comes out speedily. Taking Bullies home and enjoying it at the table with your family is arguably the best way to consume this delicious BBQ. With your package, you’ll receive about five or six sauces, all equally delectable, that will certainly leave a lasting impression on you. Bullies is now a staple for my family, and we get it at least once each vacation, and they have not disappointed us. 

5. Wayback Burgers, 32 Shelter Cove Ln, Suite 150, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928

Another memorable restaurant in Shelter Cove, Wayback Burgers is often tourist-ridden and busy, but it’s worth the wait. It’s definitely not a healthy option, but it’s vacation, so who cares, right? With pre-made choices and a build-your-own option, the outcomes are limitless. Aside from their fast-food-style burgers, they also serve terrific milkshakes. A personal favorite of mine is the Chocolate Brownie Shake. Their cheesy, greasy burgers keep my family coming back for a quick bite during a jam-packed afternoon, and they do not disappoint. 

4. Wiseguys, 1513 Main St, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29926

The first five restaurants I’ve listed have been mainly casual dining, but here is where we delve into some of the more refined restaurants the island has to offer. Wiseguys is nearing the pricier side of things, but like most of the other high-end places on the island, it’s perfectly reasonable for the quality of food that you receive. A couple of years ago, I had the most delicious rack of lamb that one could ever imagine, and despite the restaurant being in high demand that Friday night, we were tended to and taken care of relatively well. I’ve only been once, but I can say in confidence that it is a place I would return to in a heartbeat. 

3. Michael Anthony’s, 37 New Orleans Road, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928

Similar to Wiseguys price-wise and in terms of quality, Michael Anthony’s is another “can’t-miss” restaurant that will leave your mouth watering even after you’ve eaten a full meal. The Prosciutto and Burrata appetizer is as good as it sounds and the atmosphere for dining is excellent. The ambiance of the place paired with the outstanding food makes for the perfect night out with friends or family. Easily one of the top restaurants on the island if you’re searching for an unforgettable evening. 

2. Frankie Bones, 1301 Main St, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29926

The second-best restaurant on the island, I can say without a doubt. With its regal leather booths and polite, efficient staff, Frankie Bones claims the No. 2 spot on my list of best restaurants at HHI. Some favorites of my family are the toasted ravioli and the filet mignon steak. Rarely can I say that I fully enjoyed every aspect of any meal, but with the filet dinner, there’s no going wrong. Accompanied by creamy spinach and roasted potatoes, it’s the whole nine yards. The food alone is a remarkable 10/10, and if it were not for the atmosphere of the restaurant at No. 1 on this list, Frankie Bones would hold the title of “Best Restaurant on Hilton Head Island.”

1. The Jazz Corner, 1000 William Hilton Pkwy, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928

And here it is- the long-awaited winner of my “Best Restaurant on HHI” list. Most sincere apologies to Frankie Bones, which is an outstanding second choice, but really, it was never even close. Perhaps the best restaurant I’ve ever been to, The Jazz Corner is lavish and caters to those with a taste for both fine food and fine music. Open only during the evenings, from the hours of 5:15 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., The Jazz Corner supplies its patrons with smooth jazz music from artists like the Martin Lesch Band, Louise Spencer, and Bobby Ryder, to name a few. I can attest to its greatness; having been multiple times each summer for the past few years, so I am well-acquainted with the menu and the scene itself. The Caesar salad appetizer is one-of-a-kind, the mocktails are fantastic, and the dinner is out-of-this-world. My personal favorite is the eight-ounce Filet Mignon that comes with crispy sweet onions, Yukon mashed potatoes, green beans, and is doused in a port-wine demi-glaze. Aside from its dim lighting, which allows for the stage to be the center of attention, the single-room restaurant is perfectly laid out so that the tables warp around the stage, leaving the luckiest of those dining to be mere feet from the main attraction. Though incredibly expensive, it is truly one of the best dining experiences one can hope for, and even if you have to skip out on all the others just to go here, I’d tell you to do so. 

Maddie Kuhns went to Pennridge High School in Bucks County, Pa, where she graduated in 2023. She now attends Susquehanna University as a first-year student and English major and will graduate in 2027. Before college, Maddie played field hockey for four years, was an active member and leader of the school's German club and participated in Women Supporting Women and International Cultures Club. In her free time, Maddie likes to read, write, and watch movies. She loves spending time with friends and family and listening to music. She's always ready to do something fun and loves trying new things.