This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

22 year-old Sui Wenjing and her skating partner Han Cong are at the top of the pair skating world, holding the 2017 World Champion title. Despite having a foot injury, Sui (and Han) won the silver medal for China in pairs skating in the Olympic games this Thursday (2/15). According to the International Skating Union, Sui is also a student and enjoys music, reading, and the internet. 

She has only been involved in pairs skating since 2007, and her career thus far has been put on temporary hold several times due to illness and foot injuries/surgeries. However, Sui quickly earned the nickname “martyr” in the skating world for her resilience. She repeatedly shocks the world with her boldness when it comes to attempting risky tricks and her ability to pick herself up after big falls. In a press conference after winning the 2017 World Champions title, Sui told reporters: 

“I think after the operation something has been changed. I became more and more enjoying our performances on the ice, I enjoy the cheers and the applause of the audience and I enjoy every moment on ice. When I was very young, the first day I took the ice, the World Championship became my dream. I always kept this dream in my heart and we worked really hard.” 

This was Sui and Han’s first Olympics and certainly won’t be their last. After missing the gold medal by .43 of a point, she told her fans that they would be back to win the gold at the 2022 Olympics. Sui is an inspiration to both women and athletes alike, and a skater who is worth keeping an eye on as she continues to strive for success. 

Click here to watch Sui Wenjing and Han Cong’s routine that they won their silver medal with.

Emily is a Junior at Susquehanna University where she has a double major in International Studies and Publishing & Editing. She is from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Spring 2019 is Emily's 5th semester as a member of Susquehanna University's Her Campus chapter. She currently serves as Event Coordinator, having previously held the titles of President and Senior Editor.