This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

College is a new chapter in a teenager’s life. It’s a fresh start, an opportunity to meet new friends, and a chance to start living an independent lifestyle. With no parental supervision, many college students are excited about the ability to do anything they please. While many succumb to the pressure of doing what everyone else is doing, there are some students who just don’t want to participate in the drinking, hookup culture, and party scene. So how does one enjoy a college experience without feeling the need to go against his or her morals? How do you fit in when your actions are different from everyone else’s?

For one thing, college is what you make of it. There will be peer pressure situations, but you don’t need to be associated with anything that you don’t feel comfortable with. Start college with an open mind regarding your interests and people you may meet. Surround yourself with people who share the same interests and lifestyle as you do. If partying isn’t one of those interests, then you don’t have to do it. By taking yourself completely out of those pressure situations, you won’t feel obligated to do something that goes against your morals.

Now what about those college students who like to be around the party scene, but still want to uphold their values and morals? That is possible to do as well. From personal experience, I understand the challenge of trying to stay true to myself while also being with people who aren’t necessarily making choices that I want to make. While this may take a little more bravery and confidence, it is okay to say no. You don’t have to drink in order to be in a social scene. You don’t have to hook up with guys for them to like you. No matter the situation, you must understand that you can have fun without losing yourself in the midst of what is going on around you. Don’t let other people determine what you consider to be fun. What happens throughout your college journey is completely up to you, so don’t let anyone make you feel differently.

Hi I'm Amanda! I am a Public Relations major at Susquehanna University. My passions include fitness, food, and my faith. My goal is to create content that can influence others in a positive way!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University