This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

This is an unusual time of year, it’s when we see Hocus Pocus, the movie, and Edgar Allan Poe, the writer, being discussed in the same sentence. One of my favorite October traditions is doing a month-long read of spooky books. I read the latest horror novels that have been published in the last year, as well as catching up on classic novels of this genre. Each year I have to create a list for this read-a-thon because it’s overwhelming how many amazing books there are to choose from! To create an even more specialized list, I recommend these stories that are very spooky but also filled with spunky female characters.

a girl in a chair saying halloween is cool
The Walt Disney Company / Giphy

1. The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson

This is the ideal spooky fall read! It’s great for fans of horror who still want to be able to sleep at night. Alexis Henderson’s writing reminded me of classical horror and fantasy authors, such as Edgar Allan Poe and Shirley Jackson, due to her elegant prose. This story is so gripping, so unexpected, that I couldn’t put it down! It’s an original take on a witch story, one that’s not in Salem, and it has a little more hidden magic. Also, there’s amazing diversity among the characters.

Twitches gif
Carla Singer Productions Broomsticks Productions via Giphy

2. Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman

If you loved Practical Magic, you’re going to love this prequel book! If you’re searching for an autumn novel filled with atmospheric language, beautiful prose, thrilling action, haunting plot twists, and memorable characters, this is the story for you! The Owens’ family history is explained in a really fascinating and often unbelievable way – trust me nothing is what it seems in this book! Also, I loved how this book really dived into what makes light and dark magic so different. I was crossing my fingers for all my favorite characters to survive. This book is so addictive I swear I read through the entirety of Maria’s life in less than 72 hours. 

Girl in witch hat
Photo by Paige Cody from Unsplash

3. A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner

This classic short story is positively creepy! I had to read it for a high school English class, and while I enjoyed it, the suspense was almost too much to bear. Faulkner does an unbelievable job creating a complex female character in such a short work of fiction. This story also has some psychological mystery elements that will keep the reader guessing until the very end. I definitely recommend this if you want an unusual and wholly original story.

4. Behind a Mask by Louisa May Alcott

You may know Alcott as the author of Little Women, but this little-known novella is amazing all on its own. It’s way too underrated in my opinion! Alcott summons so much mystery, intrigue, and pure spookiness in this story. I listened to an audiobook version a year ago, and I still haven’t forgotten how thrilling it was. Get ready for costumes, deception, and complex plot details!

Book of Music in Leaves
Photo by ulleo from Pixabay

5. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

This underrated spooky story has gained momentum with the recent Netflix adaptation airing. I haven’t seen that adaptation yet, but I will say that the book is worth the hype! This book doesn’t start off as scary, but as soon as the main character arrives at Manderley, the plot jumpstarts in the best way possible. Every scene in the old mansion feels haunting, riveting, and downright surprising. I never knew what characters to trust, and I never could’ve predicted that exciting ending! This is a classic work of gothic fiction and a must-read for anyone who enjoys horror stories.

Courtesy of Annie Spratt via Unsplash

6. The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

While Murder on the Orient Express is arguably Christie’s most famous work, The A.B.C. Murders is just as thrilling, adventurous, and spine-chilling. This is less horror and more of a psychological thriller, but ideal for those of us who need a break from the horror genre. If you want to read a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat and isn’t too scary, this one is a must-read. Also, I rarely say this, but I highly recommend the 2018 miniseries adaptation, which I felt was just as epic and excellent as the book.

New Girl Nick Miller Trapped GIF
Giphy / Fox

7. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Unpopular opinion alert: this is my favorite Austen novel. If you’re looking for a book to read for Halloween that takes a satirical and fun look at gothic fiction, I highly recommend this novel. Even though the reader knows ahead of time that this book is full of comedic moments, the scenes that take place at the spooky abbey are bone-chilling. Everything from the portrait of the dead woman on the wall, to the vampire references make this novel a standout read. This is a great book to read any time during the year, but the wonderful haunted vibes are perfect for October.

red haired witch saying I'll put a spell on you
Walt Disney Pictures / Giphy

I'm part time yoga teacher and a full time reader. I never miss an opportunity to listen to audiobooks on a car ride, or to read ebooks during breaks in my classes. I'm a senior at Susquehanna University where my major is creative writing with a minor in women and gender studies.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University