Sarah Johnson, Leading the Crusade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Sarah Johnson has been writing stories and news articles since she was in elementary school but today she is the leader of Susquehanna’s student run newspaper, the Crusader.

Full Name: Sarah K. Johnson

Graduation Date: May 2012 (Senior)

Major/Minor: Double major in Spanish and communications with an emphasis in journalism/minor in anthropology

Plans after SU: My plan is to join Public Allies, a 10-month volunteer and leadership organization through AmeriCorps. The community I will be residing in will (hopefully) be Chicago, where I will work directly with nonprofit organizations and the local community while promoting leadership and service. After my time in Chicago, I will either pursue my Master’s degree, or look for a job within the journalism, publishing or nonprofit industry.

When was the first time you wrote an article for a newspaper?
The first time I wrote an article for a newspaper was one of the first weeks of my freshman year at Susquehanna University. As soon as I heard of The Crusader, I wanted to get involved because I knew it would be great communications experience, and it was a great opportunity for me to explore the newspaper industry and how it worked.

As Editor-in-Chief (if that is not your title, please correct me), what are your responsibilities? As editor-in-chief of The Crusader, I oversee all aspects of the editorial board, hold weekly editorial board and staff meetings, revise and edit articles, and give the final decision on what goes to print on Friday.

What has been your favorite thing to write about while working for the Crusader? I have a lot of experience writing Forum (opinion) articles for the newspaper, but a few years ago for the anniversary of Sept. 11, I wrote a memorial article for two former students of Susquehanna who died in the twin tower attacks. Writing articles that have a purpose and a meaning are the most memorable and rewarding articles to write.

Where do you want writing to take you? Do you think you will have a future in journalism?I have always loved to write, and have kept numerous journals since I was young. When I was in kindergarten I began writing my own short stories. When I was in middle school, I worked on designing magazines about celebrities and the “latest gossip.” I chose journalism because I’ve always been curious; I was curious in that I wanted to learn more about the world around me. Journalism has taught me to be more open-minded and has allowed me to explore writing in a different way. Although working for a student newspaper at Susquehanna has given me many opportunities and has allowed me to meet some of the most interesting people, I know now that working in the newspaper industry is something I will most likely not pursue. Presently, it just isn’t realistic because everything is turning digital. My future is definitely in writing, whether it is for a non profit organization, as an editor for a publishing company, or a magazine. Working for National Geographic is my dream job, but until I get there I will definitely explore my horizons within writing.

If you could interview anyone in the world, who would it be? There are many people I would love to interview, but in relation to my major, if I could interview anyone in the world, it would be Lisa Ling. She has interviewed some of the most interesting people, and I’m sure she could share so many stories. She’s lucky to have had the opportunity to travel to so many different places, and meet some unique individuals, and in some ways I envy her.

Do you keep a blog or write for any other outlets? I have a blog on wordpress.com, where I update my published articles:http://skettlejohnson.wordpress.com/ My other blog, “Mi Vida en Valencia,” includes my experiences from when I studied abroad in Valencia, Spain for a semester: http://sarahkettle.blogspot.com/

What else are you involved in on campus? I hold a student supervisor position for the Outreach Team at Susquehanna’s admissions office, where our student callers contact prospective students to get them to visit and apply to Susquehanna. I am also a study abroad peer adviser for the GO Office, as well as a news writer for Susquehanna’s office of communications. I am trying to become more involved with the organization charity:water on campus.

Jackie Newell is a junior with a double major in International Studies and Spanish. She is originally from Cape Elizabeth, Maine but takes on the nine hour challenge to attend Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania. This passed semester (fall 2011) Jackie studied in Alicante, Spain studying Spanish, culture and art. Jackie is very involved on the Susquehanna campus including serving as the freshman class President, sophomore class Vice President, member of the club ice hockey team, freshmen orientation team leader, Panhellenic Recruitment Counselor and the Vice President of Philanthropy for the Epsilon Delta chapter of Sigma Kappa. Jackie is the current Campus Correspondent for the Susquehanna University branch of Her Campus.