This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Looking back on my almost 21 years of life, I’ve been through a lot. Some things were good, some things were ugly. To this day, I have a set of rules that I like to take into each day because they help me stay true to myself.

It Is Okay to Have a Bad Day

There is not a single person in this world that hasn’t had a bad day. Some people less than others, but no one’s life is that perfect. It is okay to reflect on that day and take some well-deserved “me time.” Make a cup of tea and read a good book, or watch your favorite show. Everyone has a busy life that may not go their way every day, and that is completely normal.

Not Everyone Is Your Friend

This rule has been in my life since before middle school. NOT EVERYONE IS YOUR FRIEND. There are people out there that will get close to you and then hurt you for their own benefit. They want to see you fail. They are otherwise known as “snakes.” You can’t trust everyone 100%, and that sucks to say, but it is true. Don’t put your heart into every single person you meet, because at some point, it could get shattered. People can be very mean and act like they are someone that they are not. This rule helps me guard my heart for the people who truly deserve it. Only a few people in your life may deserve your true heart, and that’s okay. Those are the people you want to hold close forever.

Always Be Yourself

I used to have a sign in my room that said, “Never let anyone dull your sparkle.” As cheesy as this sounds, it is 100% true. You will have the people in your life that will try to bring you down. They may think that you are too outgoing, too bubbly, or maybe even “too happy.” These people do not deserve your presence. They do not deserve to know the real you. Walk away. They are not worth your time. Continue to be you because there is ONLY ONE YOU.

These rules may seem like quotes off of signs at your nearest craft store, but they are 100% true. Have a wonderful day!

Hi! I'm Kaitlyn! I am a psychology major at Susquehanna University.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University