This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

It seems like 2020 will be another busy year and has had quite the start to a new decade. We are only almost a quarter into the year, but life has kept us pretty busy. A lot of us have just gotten through midterms, which I am sure you all did the best you could do. Since it is the middle of the semester, I thought it would be a good time to send out a reminder. In fact, there will be times when we all need a bit of an emotional boost.

Here is a reminder: you can do this! “This” can mean anything. You can accomplish your daily and long-term goals even if things are difficult. There is no single way of doing things (except for cereal and milk in which you need to put cereal in the bowl before the milk). Life can be confusing as a puzzle, but the good thing about it is that there is no correct order. And take your time because you have the time to do things properly. It never works if you rush yourself.

However, this encouragement means nothing if you do not take care of yourself either. Please avoid binge-eating. I know how tempting junk food can be, and it seems like ice cream is a huge go-to when people are upset, but it is not worth it. I will be real here: the long-term result is not going to be a fun one. When you are down, sugar is energy that will come as quickly as it arrived. This might be a bit of a stretch, but it does help to exercise. Exercising can help boost your mood while also keeping you physically healthy. Both of my roommates go to the gym frequently, and my one roommate seems to really enjoy it. Because she goes to the gym, she is remarked that she feels happier. It makes sense because exercising does release endorphins, which helps in many positive ways. Additionally, I suggest going for a glass of water instead. Keep yourself hydrated. I know that when I am stressed, there are times I might cry, so let’s avoid dehydration.

Keep yourself around positive energy. Recently, my friend considered getting a gratitude journal for herself. It really is a good idea to keep positive thoughts especially during times when you are stressed and need something good to look back on. Sometimes, the darker thoughts take over, but with a documented positivity, it is a reminder that good times can happen. It is okay if it can be hard to be positive. In the past, I learned that positivity is something you need to slowly integrate in your life. It does not always come naturally, but you can teach your mind to look at the brighter side of the situation. With a gratitude journal, you are practicing positivity. First, you surround yourself with it. Then, over time, it becomes easier to think in a positive mindset.

I want to clarify that I am not telling you to always be positive. You cannot always force yourself to be happy. When you need to let out your emotions, always do that. With positivity, it is the aftermath of the situation. You have to solve it first before you can let go all of the negative energy and turn it into a positive thought. You need the bad in order to become stronger.

But I want to remind you that you are doing a great job. It is the little things that can make a huge difference. Life is not supposed to be easy, but here you are, trying your best. You have woken up and chosen to stay awake. You have opened your eyes and looked at something around you. You have taken your first breath of the morning. You are making the most of what you have. Give yourself a hug or a pat on the back. You are a strong individual who will find a way to overcome hardships. Just know that the solution will not always come to mind. However, take a moment and relax. As you breathe, know that the stressful times will eventually go away. The answer you have been looking for will come naturally.

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University