This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

As Halloween approaches, there are many things to consider. Costumes, candy, trick-or-treating, and pumpkin carving might be on your mind. Picking out a pumpkin in the fall is always one of my favorite aspects of Halloween. Carving pumpkins is one of my family’s favorite traditions, so over the years we have carved quite a lot of designs. Remember to scoop out the pumpkin seeds before you start carving! 

Pumpkins for Movie Lovers

Carve one of your favorite characters or symbols from a movie! One year I carved Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc. There are a lot of templates online that you can trace with a marker on the pumpkin to help you carve. This helps me a lot because I am not artistic at all. Another year I carved the Avengers symbol, since that is my favorite superhero group. They also have the best movies. Another year, I carved the lightning bolt from Harry Potter into my pumpkin, so you can get as specific or as vague as you want to.

Pumpkins for Sports Fans

If you and your family have a specific sports team that you like to root for, why not carve their logo on a pumpkin? My family is from New England, so we’ve carved Red Sox and Patriots pumpkins before. My dad did this really cool technique when he made the Red Sox pumpkin where he scraped away the outside layer but left some of the inside intact. Don’t be afraid to look up videos on different techniques if you want to try something new. Also, I swim competitively, so one year I carved a cap and goggles into my pumpkin. The possibilities are endless. 

Traditional Pumpkins

We’ve also carved our fair share of Jack-o-lanterns over the years. There are happy faces, sad faces, scary faces, or funny faces that you can find idea for online. Then, you can pick one that you like or come up with your own. I recommend drawing out the face first with a marker, and then actually carving it. I’ve even seen a few people around my neighborhood put witches hats on their pumpkins on Halloween. 

Designs 

Like I said before, the possibilities for pumpkin carvings are endless. I’ve seen people do flowers, cats, stripes and more. They can also be as simple or complex as you want them to be. 

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays because it’s really fun. Whether you are out trick-or-treating, giving out candy, or going to a costume party, there is always a possibility to see some really cool and creative pumpkins and decorations. In terms of carving your own pumpkin, you can really do anything that comes to mind. 

Hi! I'm Caroline and I go to Susquehanna University in PA. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I am a biomedical studies major and I am a member of the swim team.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University