Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Listening to music is one of my favorite things to do throughout the day. The right song never fails to make me happy or excited to get on with my day. As our landmark conference swim championships approach, I find myself wanting to listen to as many pump up songs as I can hear. Pump up songs are great at making people feel excited, fired up and ready to go. Over the years, I have heard countless pump up or inspirational songs, and here are some categories that stuck with me.

Throwback Songs

Throwbacks are the original pump up songs. I love listening to music from the 90s and early 2000s as I am getting ready to go somewhere because they remind me of what I was hearing for the first time when I was growing up. Some great examples of throwback pump up songs are; Yeah! By Usher, Eye of the Tiger, by Survivor, Don’t Stop Believing, by Journey, and Survivor by Destiny’s Child. I love these throwbacks because they never fail to put a smile on my face and get me excited for whatever I need to be excited for. They help me feel good about whatever is about to happen because they are so familiar.

Women’s Empowerment Songs

I also love to listen to songs about women’s empowerment and success. These songs help inspire me and show me that I can do anything that I set my mind to. Some great examples of women’s empowerment songs are; Woman by Ke$ha, Miss Independent by Neyo, Good as Hell by Lizzo, and Dancing Queen by ABBA. These songs are great because they not only empower the artist, they empower the audience as well. All of these songs are catchy and can get stuck in my head whenever I listen to them.

Music is an incredibly powerful form of expression and has undoubtedly made a positive impact on my life. Whenever I am having a bad day or am nervous about an exam or big race coming up, I always put my headphones in and blast these songs until I feel confident and ready to go. Music is something that we can all relate to and we all can bond over. Sometimes all that you need is to have a jam session in your room and rock out to all of the songs that make you happy. Pump up songs never fail to put me in a better mood.

Hi! I'm Caroline and I go to Susquehanna University in PA. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I am a biomedical studies major and I am a member of the swim team.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University