This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Last Saturday I got my second tattoo at a local tattoo parlor here in Selinsgrove.  

I went to Nouveau Ink and Market Street. If anyone from Susquehanna or in the Selinsgrove area wants to get a great tattoo in a clean place I highly recommend them. Fun fact: nouveau means modern and up to date!  

I got my first tattoo a few months ago, 

and my uncle who has tattoos from head to toe took me. These are the tips he gave me on how to take care of a new tattoo! As you can see from the picture, my tattoo healed very well. The steps to follow are very simple and will keep your tattoo from infection and keep it looking good! Please note though that even if you follow these steps, infection can happen from anything. But prevention is key, so please do not get your tattoo if you are sick or your immune system is compromised. 

The Steps:

So, you just got your tattoo, you’re looking good, you’re feeling good, but there’s a little blood and it hurts a little. Don’t worry! It’s normal because you just broke through a few layers of skin! 

The first thing you’re going to want to do is wait 1 ½ to 2 hours before you touch or clean your tattoo. There may be blood that will dry down on the tattoo. That’s ok, or they maybe be little black balls of dry ink and that’s ok too! Just be patient and wait! 

Second, wash your hands before handling the tattoo! 

Third, once the 1 ½ to 2 hours are up, unwrap your tattoo if it’s wrapped, if it’s not don’t worry. Take warm water on the tips of your fingers and gently rub the tattoo. Then, take a very little bit of non-scented anti-bacterial soap mixed with warm water and rub over the tattoo again. And then go one more time with just warm water over the tattoo and clean off any soap or dirt left. Finally, pat dry. 

Fourth, take a small drop (depending on the size of your tattoo) of bacitracin and rub it over the entirety of the tattoo. Don’t worry about putting on more, just spread the small drop to cover whole thing (obviously if you have a larger tattoo add more as needed). You don’t need to have a thick layer over the tattoo, just enough to cover it. 

Fifth, every few hours reapply bacitracin, and apply it when you wake up, after you shower, and before you go bed. It’s ok if it rubs off a little. 

NOTE: 

You don’t have to clean the tattoo every time you apply bacitracin. 

Try to avoid consistent sun exposure on tattoo, especially in summer. 

It’s ok if you show off your tattoo, you don’t have to cover it. 

In the shower, avoid scrubbing with soap. If a little water gets on it, it’s ok, but avoid direct contact with hot water on the tattoo. 

If you follow all these steps your tattoo should heal in a few weeks! 

If you do notice any signs of infection please visit a doctor immediately.   

Hi! My name is Victoria, I use she/her pronouns, I'm 18 years old and I am a first year student at Susquehanna University!
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.