The Perks of Attending a Small School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I could not imagine going to a school any bigger than my own. Susquehanna University has an undergraduate student enrollment of approximately 2,200. Although nearly twice as large in enrollment as compared to my high school, Susquehanna is considered a small university in comparison to other colleges. In my experience, I have found there to be an overwhelming amount of positive attributes to attending a small school. These are just a few of the perks. 

Seeing a familiar face everywhere you go. 

Not only will you see familiar faces all around campus, but more than likely you will even know their name. You’ll never have to worry about going somewhere and not recognizing anyone there. 

Individual attention from faculty. 

According to friends of mine who attend large schools (10,000+ students), their classes are frequently held in large lecture halls, often with over 50 students in each class. The professor knows you by a number (for grading purposes), rather than a name. And, if you have a question or concern? Chances are that you’re on your own to figure it out. 

The Susquehanna University website, on the other hand, boasts a 12:1 faculty to student ratio. This allows for personal, highly individualized attention that encourages students to build personal relationships and have open communication with their professors. This allows you to achieve academic goals and dream bigger than you ever have before. 

It’s easy to get involved. 

Because of the small amount of people on campus, there are many more opportunities to be a leader and to get involved in whatever it is you’re passionate about. You are able to truly make an impact on your campus. 

You feel like you belong. 

At a small school, you will find your place. Small class sizes, a small campus, and a small student population allows you to form genuine connections with others very easily. There is a place for everyone and the people make you feel welcome and at home. 

Overall, if you’re looking for a united, caring community that feels like HOME, I would highly recommend a small university, like Susquehanna. There nothing wrong with going to a large school but there’s something to be said about small schools! I wouldn’t trade this small-school community feel for anything. 

Jersey girl who loves The Bachelor, burritos, boybands, and basically anything basic. Member of the Class of 2020 at Susquehanna University studying Stretigic Communications: Advertising and Marketing and Art History.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.