This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I’m not going to lie to you nice people, the holidays are not my favorite time of year. Once Halloween is over, all I want to do is hibernate until at least April. I am also one of those people who refuses to turn on the radio starting on November 1st because it’s full of Christmas songs that make my brain go numb. Putting all of that aside, I have to let you guys know that even I can understand good songs when I’m forced to hear them. This is going to be such a heated topic, but let’s face it, there are some Christmas songs that used to be good, but are now just overplayed and overrated.

Starting out with everyone’s favorite, Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You”. I know, I know, you want to burn me at the stake, I understand. Honestly, it’s not that it’s a bad song in any way, it’s just the most over-hyped song I have ever heard. It’s the theme song for Christmas at this point, and I just think it’s unnecessary.

Now I have to mention the creepy song, “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”. While this song is not nearly as popular now as it was a few years ago, I can still remember working at my last job and I heard this song 3 times in the span of an hour… on the same radio station. It’s extremely overplayed and overrated to the extreme. So many people still see it as a cute love song too, which is just weird.

Another overrated song is “Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!” I don’t exactly have a reason for this one, it just seems accurate.

Overall, Christmas songs are annoying. Do not be pulled into the ploy that they’re fun and festive, that’s all marketing. I’m a Scrooge, what can I say?

Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University