This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

In understanding our impact as voters, we need to know what a voter does. A voter is someone who participates in elections and casts their ballot. They are someone who chooses a candidate that represents their views. In doing so, they are giving a chance for the candidate to gain entrance into the role they are running for.

I felt myself get more involved this year with the election. During my time at home, I spent a lot of time on social media, and I would see various posts that taught me a bit more about what is happening. I had friends texting me articles that I would look through. When school started, I found myself getting involved a little with Achieve Lead Vote. I did some volunteer work with them by spending a couple of hours one day, getting people to vote. And this week, I took part in a conversation about the power of the ballot where I acted as a moderator. While I was there to essentially start conversations and ask questions, I did give my insight on my own thoughts.

When you are voting, you are choosing someone to represent you. One of the speakers mentioned how they heard people saying that their vote would not matter. But it does. A singular vote could make a difference for who takes that spot in the government. Long story short, your life is going to be impacted by whoever takes the stand after the election. This is one of those times when your voice counts so much more than you credit for.

I understand there are people who believe that they do not know much about how the government and politics, which is why they do not want to vote. I think it is a valid point. You should know what you are getting into when you are voting. However, instead of not voting, I believe you should dedicate your time to doing the research now. It does seem complicated, but as long as you believe the candidate you are voting for is able to relay your ideas, then you are on a good path. Know what you want. Know what you stand for. They might not be perfect, but as voters, we have power even after elections to make a difference.

After the talk I moderated, I could get these words out of my head: “Embrace the power.” Embrace the power that you have. Your voice is vital. Your voice does matter. Election Day is coming up, and for me, any election matters. This is your community that you could change in a manner that you can agree with. Therefore, I am going to share a link that will give you information on what you need to know as a voter: https://www.vote.org

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University