mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Nicki Minaj and Cardi B Feud Continues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Monday night the online world witnessed one of the most iconic rap feuds of today’s digital world. If you haven’t heard already, highly favored rappers Nicki Minaj and Cardi B have once again butted heads. This time no words were held back and true feelings were let out – at least on Cardi’s end. For those of you who are completely clueless and don’t have a slight idea of what’s going on, all you need to know is that the issue between the rappers has been reoccurring since the beginning of Cardi B’s career. Now, I’m not by any means a rap genius, but it seems to me like this is an issue about jealousy and respect.

To provide you with some context, Nicki Minaj has been Hip Hop’s top female rapper for some years now, claiming that she’s worked hard to get to where she’s at. It’s safe to say that she’s even reached the peak in her career by now. Well, I believe the core of the problem stems from Cardi B’s fast and successful career in the music industry. Unlike Nicki, Cardi has had extreme success in very little time thanks to her start on VH1’s Love and Hip Hop reality show, without having to do as much dirty work as Nicki had to. As months have gone on, subliminal mentions between the women began in songs, interviews and even instagram captions. Fast forward to this years New York Fashion Week, things got physical fast. According to actual footage of that night, Cardi B appears upset and is definitely ready to attack Minaj who was hiding behind security guards. She throws a shoe and misses. During the scuffle, Cardi got hit on the side of her head which both sides claim was either Nicki’s entourage Rah Ali or a security guard who caused a knot on her head.

Once again, as the weeks went on things died down until Cardi’s little sister Henessy posted on instagram the hateful and hurtful messages Cardi has been receiving to her actual phone number from Nicki fans. Some of the messages even threatened her daughter (which is extremely over the top)! A few days later, Nicki went on her radio show “Queen Radio” and addressed not only the fashion week fight, but unpacked new details about the feud. Moments later Cardi B went on a long instagram rant that addressed all the things Nicki has done to her out of spite. Of course, Nicki responded on twitter with the backing of fashion designers and artists. For now, nothing has been settled, but we do know that Steve Madden is an alleged Cardi B fan and Little Mix is definitely on the Nicki train. 

As someone who has listened to both of their music, it’s really sad to see how this has all unfolded. Clearly, social media and the opinions of the people around them has influenced them one way or another, and completely blown things out of proportion. Do I think this issue between the two ladies will ever come to an end? Sadly, I don’t see that happening anytime soon, the damage has been done.

Veneranda Bautista is a student at Susquehanna University in small town Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. While being an Advertising/Marketing and Spanish double major she finds time to reflect on life, go to the gym, and stay up to date with celebrity news. Born and raised in Brooklyn and daughter of Dominican immigrants have definitely played a pivotal role in the ambitious person she is today. To gain a better taste of who she is personally, make sure to follow her on Instagram: @veny_bau.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University