Netflix Recommendations for Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, here are a few movie titles available on Netflix that tell the stories of prominent figures in Black History. From documentaries with social commentary to biographical dramas of beloved musicians, this list has something to fit every taste. As February comes to an end, make an effort to watch one of these recommendations and participate in conversations relative to Black History beyond this month.

Kevin Hart’s Guide to Black History

Educational comedy is the most entertaining way to learn about history. If Kevin Hart had been your high school history teacher, maybe you wouldn’t have had such a hard time keeping your eyes open after lunch. Watch this hour-long Netflix Original comedy special to live out that fantasy. 

Remastered: The Two Killings of Sam Cooke

This documentary exposes the theories surrounding the death of soul singer Sam Cooke. Inconsistencies in witness testimonies have sparked questions of a possible conspiracy to murder the 33-year old, who had used his platform to become a prominent civil rights activist.

13th

Rather than focusing on just one person’s story, 13th critiques the American prison system and mass incarceration of Black citizens. This documentary intersects academic research, politics, and social activism with perspectives from contributors with diverse backgrounds. 

The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson

Marsha P. Johnson, a well-known drag queen and LGBTQ+ activist, dedicated her life to performing and pushing for social change. Beyond her involvement in the Stonewall Uprising, Marsha was a member of the Gay Liberation Front and an AIDS advocate. Marsha’s death was ruled a suicide in 1992, but in 2012 NYPD reopened the case to revisit the possibility of a homicide. This Netflix Original documentary follows her fellow activist and friend Victoria Cruz who continues to investigate Marsha’s death in the context of the ongoing violence against trans women. 

Behind the Curtain: Todrick Hall

You may recognize his name from American Idol Season 9, or from the Youtube musical mashups you watched in middle school. Behind the Curtain is just that, a look behind the scenes of his autobiographical musical Straight Outta Oz.

Michael Jackson’s This Is It

Before his allegedly accidental death, the King of Pop had been preparing for a series of performances across the country. This documentary shares the footage from his rehearsals during what ultimately become his last days. 

42

Every American knows the name Jackie Robinson, but do you know the details of the hardships he faced as the first Black Major League Baseball player? 42 will both educate and inspire you with a biographical drama focused on the story of Robinson’s athletic career.

Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark

As a famous musician in the mid-1900s, Nat King Cole was a target of racist groups and individuals. However, despite the assaults, attempted kidnappings, and threats from the KKK, he continued to pursue a career in the nation’s spotlight. In the early years of his fame, Nat King Cole tried to appease his all-white audiences and avoid controversy. However, by the end of his career, he became involved in the civil rights movement as a member of the NAACP and participant in the 1963 March on Washington. Watch this documentary to learn more about Nat King Cole’s career and the challenges he faced.

Emily is a Junior at Susquehanna University where she has a double major in International Studies and Publishing & Editing. She is from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Spring 2019 is Emily's 5th semester as a member of Susquehanna University's Her Campus chapter. She currently serves as Event Coordinator, having previously held the titles of President and Senior Editor.