international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

My Interest in Fashion Makes Me A Better Marketer, Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

We all dress for different reasons, but there can be no denying that our unconscious choices reflect a small portion of who we are. I love shopping, exploring new trends, and experimenting with new styles. I’m that person that will change their outfit a dozen times, and while it’s a hobby I do in my free time, I’ve found that it motivated me in other aspects of my life.

It’s a well-known fact that you can’t redo a first impression, and what you wear plays a large role in that. It’s precisely the reason why people dress up for interviews as we associate certain characteristics with their clothing choices. A neat, well-dressed professional suggests they are responsible and have good attention to detail. Fashion is more than combining accessories. It is a presentation of self-identity. When you dress yourself, you are crafting a brand and showcasing a piece of your personality. 

For me, a personalized wardrobe has the power to shift psychological perceptions with its different color and clothing combinations. Different colors evoke different emotions and have different associations. Think of red as passionate and black as mysterious. There have even been numerous studies and explanations as to why certain colors look better on certain people. Seasonal color analysis is one tool that is used to help determine what colors and shades suit people best based on their complexion, hair color, and eye color. I found that I’m more cool-toned, so I tend to look for more wintry tones. Learning the science behind fashion has not only allowed me to save money and shop more strategically, but I’ve become a large-picture visual thinker. In addition to being more conscientious about color choices, the styles of the clothing, the cuts of the neckline, and the silhouette of a skirt all contribute to the optical illusion. Through practice and learning about how patterns and fits affect my body shape, I’m able to visualize outfits before purchase.

So what ties this hobby with my academics? The answer is knowledge. When we understand why we see something a certain way, we can learn to use that skill to our advantage. 

In the same manner that we may dress ourselves to highlight an aspect of our personality, we see the most successful companies focusing on highlighting specific aspects of their brand narratives to reflect their history, culture, and values in a manner that distinguishes them apart from other brands with their characteristics. Take Chanel versus Gucci, for example. Both identify as luxury brands, but they cater to consumers looking for different types of styles. Chanel is known for its timeless, classic appeal, and Gucci for its bold individualism. 

I believe the best fashion is one that combines the colors and styles that suit someone and gives them confidence. Experimenting with your style can add a fun pop of color to your daily life. It certainly did for me.

Desli is a luxury brand marketing and management major who enjoys music, thrift-shopping, running, and has a major coffee obsession.