This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Over the years, the concept of ASMR has become more widely known and accepted. However, if you are unfamiliar with ASMR, it stands for “Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.” This is a fairly formal way of saying that ASMR can relax you and help you to feel comforted, whether it is in times of great stress or in your everyday life. As of 2021, more than 15 million ASMR videos have been published on YouTube, a popular platform for ASMRists to share content. There are many YouTubers who create ASMR content, and some are more popular than others. In fact, some ASMRists have become verified on social media. Today, I will be sharing the names of some of some of my favorite ASMRists. To be honest, I tend to collect playlists of ASMR videos from different channels, and I only check-in on the same artists every once in a while. There are some ASMRists, though, who I absolutely adore and will always return to for ASMR content.

Goodnight Moon ASMR

ASMR is not just a means of relaxation, especially for Goodnight Moon ASMR, or Erin. To this incredible content creator, ASMR is an ART. I have been watching Erin’s videos since her first upload in 2017, and she will always be my favorite ASMRist. Now, she has 897k subscribers. By piecing together the stories that she has told in her videos, Erin went to film school and spent many years practicing makeup for the camera. This is obvious in her work. Her cinematography is gorgeous as well as her video-editing skills. Goodnight Moon transports her viewers into another world, literally! She has created a video series, known as the Babblebrook Series, in which she introduces her followers to different characters of the original, fantasy world of Babblebrook. From friendly innkeepers to witches and pirates, Goodnight Moon is quite the actress. She uses different mannerisms, makeup, effects, and costumes for each of her characters. In addition, her backgrounds are exquisite! Many ASMRists are prone to using green screens, but never Goodnight Moon! She crafts all of her backgrounds, typically shopping at thrift stores to find fantasy-like materials and supplies. Apart from her popular fantasy series, she offers a variety of other videos as well, including ASMR game plays, makeup tutorials, and hauls. However, what really sets Goodnight Moon apart from other content creators is her spirit. She is undeniably one of the purest souls on YouTube, with a voice that is so, so soothing. She is so sweet, always appreciating the little things in life. As an ASMR watcher, I believe this is an important trait for an ASMRist to have. For example, in one of her videos, she performs ASMR under an umbrella in the rain. She is just so ecstatic about the rain that it is hard not to find an appreciation for rain. She will often spend time making tea, lighting candles, and displaying scenic clips of nature and the outdoors. If I am ever having a down day, I will turn to Goodnight Moon. She will always show me the beauty of the world.

Gibi ASMR

Gibi ASMR is, by far, one of the most popular ASMRists with 4.03 million subscribers on YouTube. It’s no secret why she can be found verified on YouTube and Instagram. With a weekly posting and streaming schedule, Gibi commits to her ASMR work. Gibi also has a style all her own that sets her apart from other ASMRists. I would say that she is a bit edgier then others, and she brings a sense of youthfulness to the community. Her videos tend to have a darker aesthetic with neon lights. However, she is so much fun, and she is unafraid to be herself on-camera. From her one-and-a-half-hour rendition of the Bee Movie to her cosplays, Gibi is 100% there for her viewers. I can imagine that she would do anything for them, and she has! Her videos are creative, including elaborate script-writing and editing processes. Gibi is also very honest with her viewers, providing truthful life updates and a caring presence. What I most appreciate about Gibi is the accepting, open-minded environment that she creates. Her content incorporates the interests of many, from anime reviews and roleplays to more traditional ASMR videos. One can tell that she is very passionate about film and acting as she truly takes her video work above and beyond. I can imagine that she can do anything that she sets her mind to.

Honorable Mentions

Like I said, there are only so many ASMRists that I check-in with on a frequent basis. Most of the time, I create various ASMR playlists with content from different channels. However, I do have to include some honorable mentions apart from my two favorite ASMRists. For more popular ASMRists, PJ Dreams ASMR, Jocie B. ASMR, ASMR Darling, Latte ASMR, and Ashley Marie ASMR are wonderful choices. These YouTubers all have great personalities and a passion for creating relaxing content. There are also “OG” ASMRists who have been carrying the ASMR community for years, such as TheWaterwhispers and Gentle Whispering ASMR. They have both been creating content for over a decade, and I have enormous amounts of respect for their efforts to provide comfort to their viewers for so long. In addition, many channels provide great ambiances with no talking, such as asmr soupe. Ambiances can vary between those from popular films or different settings.

Recent Discoveries

I love finding new content creators with interesting aesthetics and styles! Recently, I have discovered a few new ASMRists. Myaling ASMR is an amazing content creator. While she tends to post once every few months, it is clear that she spends the additional time on perfecting each of her videos. They are very detailed, from herbology to fashion videos. She decorates her backgrounds to fit each video, using multiple props. In addition, she utilizes costumes, music, and different camera angles to immerse her viewers in her work. Her voice is very soothing, and she tends to focus more on sounds than talking. Futurabre is a more modern, yet traditional ASMRist that I have discovered. She tends to create “personal attention videos,” and I love her soothing voice, caring mannerisms, and simplistic aesthetic. She also has a spiritual vibe to her, incorporating crystals and energy into her videos.

I first discovered ASMR during my high school years, a time when I was probably under the most stress in my life. ASMR gave me something to look forward to every night. It also helped me to sleep better. That being said, I will recommend it to anyone. If you go into ASMR with an open mind, you will come out with the best. Some ASMR is a bit more abstract with elaborate costumes and world-building, but there is traditional ASMR that focuses on sounds and specific relaxations. This is especially true now. As ASMR grows in popularity, the expectations for videos do as well, meaning that there is more diverse content now than ever before. I believe that there is something for everyone in the ever-growing ASMR community. The content is always there for you, only a few clicks away.

Allyson is a graduate from Susquehanna University with a Bachelor of Science in Luxury Brand Marketing and Management. Outside of the classroom, she could be found writing articles for Her Campus, teaching ballet, and singing showtunes.