This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I know vision problems are very common, so let’s get relatable.

When I was in 4th grade, the board became blurry. It was still readable, but it was different than it used to be. I used to be able to read the board clear as day, but at this time, at the lovely age of 8 years old, something was off. Vision problems run in my family. My mother got Lasik eye surgery when I was in Kindergarten because she could barely see a hand in front of her face. It was only a matter of time until at least one of her children started with the same problems, and for whatever reason, I am the one who got that lovely gift. I got glasses when I was in 4th grade. They were baby pink, and I thought I was so cool like any 8-year-old would.

To my surprise, my eyes got worse every single year. Some years, there was a drastic difference. In other years, it was slight but still there. I started wearing contacts in 6th grade because glasses weren’t cutting it anymore. We found out I have astigmatism in my left eye, which makes sense because that has always been my bad eye. For my astigmatism to be corrected, I had to start wearing daily contacts, but my prescription had to be high enough. It was not a surprise that my prescription got to that point in my freshman year of college. I now have to wear toric lenses on my left eye. Toric lenses are bigger than normal lenses and are used for astigmatisms. 

My dream one day is to get Lasik eye surgery like my mother. My doctor has told me that I will be allowed to get Lasik eye surgery when my prescription stops changing. Well, I can kiss that dream goodbye for a few years because, as stated above, it never stops changing. I want to be able to wake up in the morning and see everything clearly. I want to be able to look at my children one day without glasses or contacts. Some people think that they are cool, but believe me, you are blessed if you have a 20/20 vision. Continue to take care of your eyes and keep them 20/20 for people like myself, who can barely see their hand in front of them. Like mother, like daughter.

Hi! I'm Kaitlyn! I am a psychology major at Susquehanna University.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University