This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I am a part of the Best Buddy club at Susquehanna, and I am here to talk about the amazing experiences I have had because of it. Best Buddies is a club where each member has a special needs buddy from the Selinsgrove community. It isn’t just a club, it is a lifelong friendship that I will be forever grateful for.

My buddy… Rachel is one of the kindest, most loving, and fun people I have ever met. She is such a sweetheart. We talk once a week over the phone and (when circumstances permit) we meet in person once a month! Last time we met in person, we went to get pizza and watch Frozen 2! We had a blast. Seeing Rachel communicate and keep a conversation with me is one of the many things she does to amaze me. Every week, she is very eager to talk to me on the phone and I just love that! Whenever I am having a bad day, as long as I talk to Rachel, I know it won’t be the worst day! 

Having the chance to be a part of someone’s life and making a positive impact is something I strive to do every single day. However, with Rachel, I know I am making that positive impact. There is something very special about people with special needs and that is innocence. Innocence sparks so much in one’s heart and brings us closer to God. It is super important to face the world with an innocent heart for it is those who do, who surrender evil and prevail through the storms!

This article wasn’t supposed to be forcing you to join Best Buddies, but seriously, it is an amazing club that makes Susquehanna that much more of an amazing school that goes above and beyond in all aspects, especially service. If you want to join or learn more about Best Buddies, please get in touch with me! There are so many amazing buddies who might get overlooked in workplaces, school, or even out in the community. Having a chance to talk to Susquehanna students would mean the absolute world to them!

I’m going to end with this quote: “Children with special needs come into our lives, leaving footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same.”    

Hi! My name is Sydney and I am a freshman here at Susquehanna. I am a psychology major with a double minor in music and honors. I am in chorale, student government, best buddies, am a student ambassador and now write for her campus! Looking forward to sharing articles with you all!