gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Long-Distance Relationship: The First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

My boyfriend is one of my best friends. We spent the first eight months of our relationship seeing each other every day and slowly became part of each other’s daily routine, so going right to not seeing each other for weeks has not exactly been easy.  

When I realized that the comfort and fun of having my best friend with me every day would change once we were two hours apart, I got scared. The thought of the person I love most not being by my side as I navigated the beginning of a new chapter of my life was daunting, to say the least. 

Quickly I realized that being physically apart did not mean our love for each other would disappear.

It took me a month or two to settle into our new normal. We figured out how and when we would talk to each other and see each other. The comfort of knowing when we would talk or see each other made the weeks apart easier.

We have learned to expect when to hear from one another and to take advantage of the time we have together and make the most of it. I get through the weeks of not seeing him by looking forward to how great it will be when we’re together instead of focusing on how much I miss him. Of course, there are days we are both so busy we can’t talk at all, but knowing what to expect most of the time provides comfort. 

The process hasn’t been easy, and it probably never will be. We have had to work hard to share our thoughts and lives with each other, while also forming new friendships and making new memories. 

I don’t know if I will ever get used to not seeing him or hearing his voice all the time, but I know that being apart just makes us stronger. I have learned how he thinks about and deals with situations and how to tell if he is having a bad day without him even saying anything, and I am sure he could say the same about me. After spending this semester apart from my boyfriend, I can attest to the fact that the saying is true: love knows no distance.   

I would also like to officially give my boyfriend credit for the idea to write the article “Can’t Stomach the Infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte? Here is a Review of PSL Alternatives”. He was very proud of himself and saved me when I was struggling with writer’s block!

Anna Leeds

Susqu '23

My name is Anna Leeds, I am a Publishing and Editing major at Susquehanna University.