Lexi Howard Steals the “Euphoria” Spotlight (And No, Not Because of Her Relationship with Fezco)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

The hit HBO television series Euphoria (2019 – ) has several fan-favorite characters, but Lexi Howard isn’t usually cited as one of them. Lexi, played by Maude Apatow, was only a minor character in season one of the show. Now, with the recent premiere of Euphoria‘s second season, Lexi is getting consistent screentime. Like most viewers, what initially attracted me to the show was Zendaya’s Emmy-worthy performance and the iconic quotes made by Maddy Perez, played by Alexa Demie. However, after binging season one of the show, I couldn’t help but wonder why Lexi got such little screentime.

Maude Apatow Red Lipstick GIF by euphoria - Find & Share on GIPHY
Maude Apatow Red Lipstick GIF By Euphoria

I’ve seen fans of the show argue that it’s because Lexi is the younger sister of one of the main characters (Cassie Howard), so her story is therefore not the main one being told. However, Lexi plays a critical role in the show as the best friend of Zendaya’s Rue Bennett; she’s usually the only character Rue feels safe turning to and asking for help. Without Lexi constantly standing by Rue, I wouldn’t have much sympathy for Rue as a character. Lexi acts as the moral compass in the midst of a show filled with corrupt and selfish characters.

Stand By Me Singing GIF by euphoria - Find & Share on GIPHY
Stand By Me Singing GIF By Euphoria

One of the ways Euphoria is giving Lexi more screentime this season is by teasing a budding romance with her and Fezco (played by Angus Cloud). Fans immediately noticed the two characters’ strong chemistry and pledged themselves loyal to what is now being called the show’s superior couple. While I am also a fan of this ship, Lexi is so much more than her romantic prospects. Lexi is a specific type of strong female character we rarely see on screen – an introverted, yet passionate wallflower that cannot help but take care of everyone else around her.

Maude Apatow Bike GIF by euphoria - Find & Share on GIPHY
Maude Apatow Bike GIF By Euphoria

Personally, I strongly relate to Lexi’s character traits, especially Lexi’s frustration with feeling like she has to be the mature, high-achieving person in her family. To me, Lexi represents what myself and many young women are now experiencing – academic and familial burnout placed on us by toxic feminism. To break it down – Lexi feels compelled to fill a gap in her family structure; in a family of two other women just getting by, Lexi assumes the role of being the one to take care of them all (a form of parentification). Statistically, is it very common for women to do this. Since Lexi feels inferior to her elder sister Cassie’s natural good looks, Lexi works hard to prove that she is equally as gifted in other ways – mostly academic. Not only is Lexi putting pressure on herself to be the caretaker, the intellectual, and a loyal friend, but all the other Euphoria characters rely on her being this way – thus perpetuating the cycle of burnout Lexi experiences at the cost of her own mental health. Fans are going to hate me for saying this, but it’s no question that if Lexi were ever to leave Euphoria – there would be no show left. Whether you like it or not, Maude Apatow is single-handedly carrying Euphoria‘s success on her back.

Shocked Maude Apatow GIF by euphoria - Find & Share on GIPHY
Shocked Maude Apatow GIF By Euphoria
I'm part time yoga teacher and a full time reader. I never miss an opportunity to listen to audiobooks on a car ride, or to read ebooks during breaks in my classes. I'm a senior at Susquehanna University where my major is creative writing with a minor in women and gender studies.