Keeping the Focus on Jesus During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Now that the holiday season has come, everyone is getting excited for the Christmas traditions. Baking cookies, decorating the tree, making gingerbread houses, and constantly playing Christmas music are just a couple of the festivities taking place. While Christmas season brings a lot of joy, it also causes people stress. Having to decorate, go shopping for presents, and get Christmas parties organized leads to exhaustion and takes the fun out of the Christmas season. While this time of the year can be very chaotic, it is important that we keep Christ at the center of our lives during the chaos.

So how do we go through the Christmas season without getting side-tracked by the festivities as well as the stress?

1) Remember What Christmas is All About

Many people don’t know that Christmas is the day that we celebrate the birth of Jesus! God sent his son into the world so that we could be saved and spend eternity at the right hand of God. This is a monumental day that brings joy to all who know who Jesus Christ is. The prophecy was fulfilled that the virgin Mary would conceive a son by the power of the Holy Spirit. Because there was no space left in the inn, Jesus was born in a manger, wrapped in cloth, in the town of Bethlehem. When the Shepherds surrounding the town had heard that the Messiah had been born, they headed to the stable to see Jesus and give him praise. Christmas day is a time when we can joyfully remember the birth of our Savior!

“Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel” (Isaiah 7:14).

“and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them” (Luke 2:7).

“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord” (Luke 2:11).

2) Enjoy the Gift of Giving

Christmas time is a chance to be extra generous. Buying gifts for loved ones is a huge part of the holiday season, and the Bible highlights the importance of giving. After Jesus had been born, people from all over went to Bethlehem to bring him gifts. Since they had been told that Jesus was the Messiah, they provided him presents to show their appreciation. Jesus Christ is the ultimate gift that God has given to us. We gained salvation which serves as the best present anyone could ever receive. Just like God showed that he loves us unconditionally by giving us the gift of a Savior, we can spread love to others by being generous.  

“On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh” (Matthew 2:11).

“But since you excel in everything-in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you-see that you also excel in this grace of giving” (2 Corinthians 8:7).

3) Stay in the Moment

During this time of year, it is so common for people to have their eyes focused on the future. Whether it be looking forward to Christmas Day, a family party, or for the holidays to just be over with completely, everyone seems to be wishing the days away instead of living in the moment. Each day has its own blessings that God has provided. By thinking about the future, we are missing all the wonderful opportunities that God is giving us right now. Especially when it comes to the Holiday season, we should enjoy each day and not dwell on what is to come. Focus on the now and don’t take moments for granted!

“The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad” (Psalms 118:34).

“Now listen, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.’ Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes” (James 4:13-14).

4) Be Joyful

There’s no better time of the year to be joyful than the Christmas season! Christmas music, family gatherings, and brightly decorated homes are sure to put a smile on everyone’s face. Most importantly, we can joyfully celebrate our Savior, Jesus Christ. If it weren’t for him, we wouldn’t have the promise of security in Heaven. We can find joy in the love and peace that Jesus gives to his children. The Messiah was born, as a gift to us, so that we may be saved! With Christmas serving as a reminder of that gift, we should be joyful this holiday season.

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6).

“You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth” (Luke 1:14).

5)    Give Glory to God

Most importantly, Christmas season should be all about Christ. This Holiday season, we need to keep God in the forefront of our minds and remember to give him the glory always. He has blessed us and provided us with all that we need. From worshiping the Lord at the Christmas church service, to giving him thanks before Christmas dinner, we need to acknowledge that God is the source behind our blessings in every moment. Glory be to God always!

“I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever.” (Psalms 86:12)

“Therefore God exalted him to the highest place. and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:9-11)

Hi I'm Amanda! I am a Public Relations major at Susquehanna University. My passions include fitness, food, and my faith. My goal is to create content that can influence others in a positive way!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University