matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Juliette Gordon Low and Her Lasting Impact with Girl Scouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

HC Susquehanna is celebrating Women’s History Month this week with articles devoted to significant women in history. Juliette Gordon Low is significant in Women’s History, since she founded Girl Scouts of America over 100 years ago, in 1912.

Juliette was inspired to create Girl Scouts when she was in England (she moved there once she got married), and met the founder of the Boy Scouts, Robert Baden-Powel. Meeting him inspired her to create a similar group for girls, which she did in Scotland and London before eventually returning to the United States. Born and raised in Savannah, GA, this is where Juliette returned and began “Girl Guides” in town. In these beginning years, each “troop” was named after a type of flower. In fact, Low’s nickname from childhood was “daisy”, hence why the first level of girl scouts today are called “daisies”! Like today, scouts earned badges as they learned a variety of life skills and developed personal values. The Girl Guides also continued to expand throughout Europe, even becoming part of World War I efforts by raising funds for British Soldiers, and in the U.S., for the American Red Cross.

Unfortunately, Low was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in the 1920’s and passed away in 1927. However, her legacy remains alive today. Girl Scouts of America is still going strong, inspiring young women of the future around the globe. Even after her death, Juliette Gordon Low has been awarded greatly. She was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2012, was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame, and her place of birth is even recognized as a National Historic Landmark. It is undeniable that her impact is long lasting, with over fifty million members of Girl Scouts since being founded in 1912.

For more information about Juliette Gordon Low and other inspiring women in history, head here.

Jersey girl who loves The Bachelor, burritos, boybands, and basically anything basic. Member of the Class of 2020 at Susquehanna University studying Stretigic Communications: Advertising and Marketing and Art History.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University