This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

How to Stay Motivated Mid Semester

We can survive this middle of the semester slump. 

Picture this: It’s the middle of the spring semester. It’s raining and cold one day and warm and sunny the next. Your classes are piling on the work load and seven-week course finals are around the corner. Midterms are dangerously close and spring break can’t come soon enough.

That’s me right now. I have come up with some tips on how to get motivated and push through the rest of this semester.

1. Make a List.

By writing a list down every morning or week about tasks that need to be done I can plan out when I need to do things a little better. This is different than a planner. Planners help map out important dates and events but creating a list of projects that need to be done can give instant gratification. I love writing my homework in a chronological list for several reasons. I can plan out how long I will take doing my homework that night, I can see what is do first and prioritize, and I can check things off of the list and feel like I have my life together.

2. Work Together with Friends (Or Don’t).

Working with friends can make or break motivation. Some people can work very well studying and working with friends while others get less work done while being with other people. So, change this routine up if one isn’t working. I personally get less done with friends, but I do take breaks with friends to clear my head. If I take a break alone all I can do is think about my work so it’s not really a break.

3. Fix Your Sleeping Routine.

I have noticed that during the middle of the semester I end up messing up my sleep routine and taking naps randomly throughout the day. It’s a really bad habit, but it’s just what I do lately. After taking these naps, I end up feeling worse and I don’t want to do anything. This makes me procrastinate my work and sometimes I will just go back to sleep for the night and wake up earlier to get my assignments done. This just further messes up my schedule. To fix this I have been trying to go to sleep at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. I also have been staying on my feet and occupying myself instead of taking opportunities to nap.

4. Reward Yourself.

After preparing for a large test, midterm, project, etc., I like to reward myself when I get my work back. If I get the grade I want or better I will go to Target, Dunkin Donuts, or another store and get myself a little treat. It’s not the best for my wallet, but it will motivate me to work harder and procrastinate less. Other ways to reward yourself is to watch your favorite movie, have a DIY spa night, get your nails done, or go and party with your friends after all of your hard work.

5. Cut Out Distractions.

I find myself using social media a lot more when I know I need to be doing something else. What I should do (but probably won’t) is delete the apps from my phone when I know I need to get stuff done. It will distract me much less. I know there are also some extensions for computers that lock the user out of certain websites to make sure the user gets work done. Putting a phone on do not disturb mode could also help keep out the distractions friends can give like Snapchats, texts, and Facetime requests.

This time of the semester is hard, but it doesn’t have to be with these easy tips to improve motivation. This semester is all about getting work done, getting good grades, and thriving until summer break. 

SU' 20 • Vanderpump Rules Enthusiast • Dog Fanatic • I'm just a college girl with champagne taste on a beer budget.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University