This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Now that it’s about time to pick classes for next semester, I thought I’d share my system I’ve started to keep myself on track towards finishing three majors (I know, I’m an idiot). I will say, this probably won’t be helpful if you’re about to be a senior, but freshmen/sophomores, listen close.

First, you should look at your degree audit, or the list of classes you need to take in order to graduate. Pay the most attention to the classes you need to complete your major(s), and then minor(s), and then central curriculum. Write out those classes, and be as vague or specific as you need to be so that you understand what is being asked of you.

Then, look at the catalog for the classes being offered next semester. This is a helpful step because if you’re looking for a class and it’s only offered in the spring/fall, it’ll help you determine where that class has to go on your timeline. Even pay attention to the classes being offered that you might have to take in the future because classes are weird and might be offered every two or three years instead of every year, and that can hurt your process (I’m looking at you, Intro to Modern Publishing).

Also, remember that you’re not writing into stone. Things get messed up, professors go on holiday, and studying abroad for a whole semester can be a thing if you choose.

Once you see the classes you need and have a vague idea of when you take them, divide a piece of paper into the number of semesters you have left, and then you divide up the classes you need to take into each semester. Preferably, you would go more-or-less in order. Like 100-level classes first, and then 200-level, and so on, but honestly that doesn’t really work out so don’t stress about it.

Prioritize your major/minor, but don’t overdo it. If you have more than two classes for your major in a semester, maybe think about switching one out for a central curriculum course.

Go forth and prosper, fellow kids, and please take class-picking seriously. Have a back-up plan. I didn’t, and now I have to overload next semester and take a summer course. Prepare now and you’ll thank yourself later.

Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University