How I’m Getting Ready To Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

This September, I’m going to be traveling outside of the United States for the first in my life, to spend an entire semester in Scotland. Yikes. But over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been taking these steps to get ready for the experience of a lifetime. Here’s my advice for anyone else preparing to study abroad.

Shop Smart

Scotland isn’t exactly known for having warm and sunny weather, so I’m currently on the market to purchase some sturdy boots to keep my feet warm through rain, snow, and lots of walking. Luckily, summer is a great time to find boots on sale as stores try to clear out their leftover winter stock to make room for flip flops and sandals. However, if you’re looking to buy the perfect bikini for your Barcelona instagram pics, summer is definitely your ideal chance to comb through wide selections to find your holy grail bathing suit. Make a list of everything you want to purchase for your trip as early in advance as possible so you can plan the best times to cross items off that list over the few months before you leave. 

Plan Before You Pack!

One of the most stressful things about planning to study abroad, IMO, is trying to figure out how you are going to make it through several months without bringing more luggage than the average vacationer. I’m planning on packing mostly lighter clothes (leggings, t-shirts, cardigans, etc.) that won’t take up much space and can be layered for warmth. Then, once I’ve gotten settled I will go out and buy a few sweatshirts and heavier sweaters that I will donate before I leave at the end of the semester. Make a packing list based off of clothes you wear and items you use weekly now and figure out which of those you will be able to buy abroad to save space and cut down on the weight of your bags. Realistically, you only need to pack one towel to get you through your first few showers until you can get to a store to buy one or two more for the months that you are abroad. 

Save Your Gift Cards

Because I’m going to be abroad for a whole semester, I know there are some things I’m going to have to buy when I get to Scotland. I’ve saved the Amazon gift cards I received for Christmas and my birthday this year so that way I can buy those necessities like towels or an extra pair of sneakers as I need them online, instead of spending the cash I’ve been saving. Amazon is available in so many countries and if you sign up for a free student Amazon Prime trial, you’ll receive your orders so fast it doesn’t make much of a difference whether you buy your shampoo online or in store, plus you won’t have to dip into your spending money as much. You could also look in advance to see what stores you will be near that we also have in the US. I know there is a Starbucks on the campus I will be at, so I’ll be saving my Starbucks gift cards for while I’m there!

Customize Your Own Travel Guide

Between all of the books, websites, documentaries, and YouTube videos tailored to students going abroad and the country you are going to, there is an overwhelming amount of resources for traveling. In my GO-long Prep Course at Susquehanna University, my professor has us complete sections of what is essentially our own travel guide each week. I highly recommend that anyone studying abroad for any amount of time put together important information for easy reference while they are traveling. Write down the country’s 911-equivalent phone number, basic vocab phrases in native languages, a list of your allergies/medications’ translations, and your housing’s address in a small notebook that you can throw in a purse or fit in your coat pocket. It would also be helpful to print out maps of the town or city you are staying in and highlight how you’d walk to the closest grocery stores, pharmacies, and bus/train stations. 

Start Journaling (Before You Leave!)

Documenting your travel experience may or may not feel natural, but anyone who has studied abroad will advise you to find a way to keep a day-by-day record, in addition to the hundreds of photos you’ll likely snap. If you’re not much of a journalist, you might be more interested in writing blog-style posts on your own Tumblr or Wix site. You could also post daily photos on Instagram to update your friends/family of your latest adventures. Don’t be shy about including both the good and the bad, its probably that other people will be invested in your journey and will find anything you share helpful for when they travel! I was definitely inspired to study abroad by my friends from high school who have been traveling. Seeing their courage helped me to feel emboldened as well! Set up your blog/instagram/social media accounts now so that way you are documenting everything as you go along rather than as a reflection. Exposure to a new country and culture will lead to so many thoughts, feelings, and experiences that it would be impossible to process and remember them all at the end of the trip. Writing it all down as you go will give you something to jog your memory and reminisce over once you are home and wishing you were back in your newfound second home. 

Emily is a Junior at Susquehanna University where she has a double major in International Studies and Publishing & Editing. She is from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Spring 2019 is Emily's 5th semester as a member of Susquehanna University's Her Campus chapter. She currently serves as Event Coordinator, having previously held the titles of President and Senior Editor.