This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

During my first two weeks on campus, I got quarantined. I had to self-quarantine for 14-days. This meant that I was sent to a hotel room to quarantine by myself. I wasn’t allowed to see any of my friends or even go out and get my own food from the dining hall. And of course, I’m a big picky eater. But I did find ways to entertain myself over the 14-day period, and I thought I would share those with you.

I spent a lot of time talking to my family and friends from back home! I also wrote my family letters to send them for when I get out of quarantine. Even though I wasn’t able to have any direct interaction with anybody, I made sure to have a lot of communication with people. I thought this would be necessary for my mental health and to be honest, I don’t know what I would have done without all the communication that my friends and I had. It definitely boosted my morale. 

Another way that I spent my time was getting ahead on my homework. Of course, that only worked for so long because eventually, I got to be days ahead of my homework. At that point, I started focusing my efforts on my clubs instead, like this Her Campus. Focusing my time on things like these helped keep me sane during my 14-day quarantine.

When I wasn’t talking to friends or doing homework, I would watch TV. My friends gave me show recommendations to watch during my quarantine. After every few episodes, I would let them know where I was and what was going on. This was a fun way for us to stay in contact and feel like we were still together even though we were far apart. We even used Netflix Party to have a few movie nights!

Lastly, my friends and I had dinner at the door every night. Our school had a whole floor in the hotel reserved just for our students. So, some of my other friends, who were also sent to the hotel to self-quarantine, would all sit behind doors and eat dinner “together.” It wasn’t exactly the social interaction I was craving, but being able to hear my friends’ voices were enough to get me through my quarantine.

Please stay safe and wear your mask. If you do end up having to quarantine, you should try some of these things to keep yourself busy!

I’m Allison, or most commonly known as Ally Doran. I’m from Ct, but I go to school in Pa. A couple quick facts you should know about me are that I have done kyokushin karate for over a decade and that I always put family first!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University