This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Choosing a major may be one of the hardest decisions we make in our lives. After all, what we choose to study is going to shape our lives in one way or another. This decision isn’t one you can just sleep on, wake up, and know. It is a meticulous process for students, parents, advisors, and anyone else involved.

At the end of the day, this decision falls upon the student. While choosing my major I had a few ideas lined up as to what I wanted to do in my future. They stretched from something in the criminal justice field all the way to starring in my own sitcom. Neither really relates to each other, but they both fall into some category of communications. With loads of background in this field from writing for my school newspaper since middle school, working with video editing, and things of that nature, I thought this may be a good route to take.

After talking it over with my parents and considering all of my options I declared my major as Communications with a focus in Broadcast Media. I stuck with this for a semester and a half before I realized that it just wasn’t the right fit for me. I love every aspect of Communications and all the things you can do with the major, but I could no longer envision myself on the set of a television show. I realized that my passion truly lies in writing and so I decided to follow through on that.

When the opportunity arose for me to switch my major, I did it. I am currently studying Communications with a focus in Journalism. Since making this switch I have had many more opportunities on campus arise and have had much more interest in my studies. This is one of many reasons that choosing the correct major is so important. If you’re studying something you hate, I can guarantee you won’t see the results you want to nor will you have any fun.

By choosing something that interests you, you can open your world to brand new experiences and truly watch yourself flourish. As I said before, this choice lies only with you. No outside influence should push you in any direction other than the one you want to follow. If you’re struggling to see what best fits you, don’t worry! There is plenty of time and opportunities for you to try out different things and see what fits you best. Go to meetings, workshops, presentations, and anything that aids in your decision so that you can make an informed one when the time comes.

Finally, your future aspirations will be so much easier to achieve when doing something you love. I love to write and with that I will continue to write for the school newspaper and Her Campus, and hopefully obtain a job as a journalist or something of the sort. Then I can wake up every day knowing that my decision was not a bad one, and I can go to work with a smile on my face. I can only hope the same for those who may feel a bit lost on their search for their lot in life; but believe me, you will find your purpose, obtain a degree and hook that sweet job you’ve dreamt about.

Junior at Susquehanna University Journalism/Photography President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Susqu Class of 2022
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University