Career

Gracefully Mirai Nagasu: A Female Olympian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Figure skater, Mirai Nagasu, has won a bronze medal so far in the 2018 Olympics. She is the first American figure skater to land a triple axel at the Olympics and the third woman in the history of the games to do so. She started skating when she was five years old and was born to Japanese immigrant parents. Her name means “future” in Japanese. This 24 year old skater has had a fantastic career thus far and will continue to win medals throughout the rest of the games.

In her career Nagasu has also:

– represented the United States in 2010 as a 16-year-old where she placed in fourth in her event

– won 6 bronze, 4 silver, and 2 gold medals in various competitions

In her 2017- 2018 career Nagasu has won the silver medal in the International Figure Skating Classic. She has also won the silver at the U.S. Figure Skating Classic. She competes alongside her other American teammates, Karen Chen and Brandie Tennell. After an 8 year gap, this is her second Olympic games and she is already setting records!

She’s not just an athlete, she’s also just a 24-year-old woman who loves her dog named Lincoln, skiing, reading, going to garage sales and dancing. She shares online that her favorite color is blue. Her favorite TV show is The Bang Bang Theory. One of her favorite foods is cheesecake and she loves Disney movies. On her website, she says that her life goals are to overcome life’s obstacles and to be a good role model. She just wants to inspire people and live a happy and successful life. Feel free to check out her twitter @mirai_nagasu. Trust me, its quality.

I'm just a photographer/writer trying to show the world in a new light.