jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Getting Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

“Get comfortable being uncomfortable” is what my old high school coach used to say whenever we would have a hard swim practice. I always just wrote it off as another one of his countless motivational slogans, but I have now realized that it can apply to a lot of different situations, especially at college. Whether it’s a challenging class or a difficult social situation, getting comfortable being uncomfortable has turned out to be a great strategy.

First, it is important to recognize that there are going to be uncomfortable moments and experiences throughout your whole life. I have found that it is best to just accept that and roll with it when they come around. I’ve found that there will always be times where I feel like I am not the smartest in the room or I say something awkward, but realizing that I will not always be perfect helps those moments not feel as soul-crushing as they used to. Simply realizing that there are going to be less-than-ideal and challenging moments in life can really make a difference in the way you see the world.

It definitely sounds way easier than it actually is, but recognizing that I will face challenges that I actually struggle with makes them not seem as bad. Also, it is okay to be disappointed with a bad grade or if something does not turn out the way you want it to. The biggest thing is to accept that it happened and figure out a way to fix it and move on to the next thing. College is such a busy time, and I have learned that I can’t dwell on one thing that did not work out in my favor. If I did, I would miss out on fun opportunities or get behind on school work.

At the end of the day, everyone will have to figure out what helps them overcome uncomfortable or embarrassing situations. Something as simple as watching a funny video or Facetiming a friend can help you feel better. Also, there will always be way more great moments than uncomfortable ones, so its best to take each one with a grain of salt. In terms of academics, the most challenging classes tend to be the most uncomfortable, but also the most valuable. So, take the risk and put yourself out there, because the benefits outweigh the costs. Don’t be afraid to get comfortable being uncomfortable, because so many good things will come from it!

Hi! I'm Caroline and I go to Susquehanna University in PA. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I am a biomedical studies major and I am a member of the swim team.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University