This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Everyone goes through hard times every now and then. College life can be stressful, work can be overwhelming, friends can be inconsistent, and family life can be a mess. While it may be easier to sulk, remain sad, and feel bad for ourselves, it is so important to seek the good in the situation, no matter how bad it may seem. By going through a difficult time in my personal life, I am realizing that there are lessons to be learned from the hardships encountered throughout life. 

1. Have Patience

Time seems to heal everything. Big changes can’t be made in a small amount of time. Having that mindset provides me with reassurance that things will work out as time goes on. Since the Lord controls time and tells us to be patient, we know that God has a plan of when these hard times will pass. All we can do is trust his perfect timing.

“For there is a time and a way for everything, although man’s trouble lies heavy on him.” (Ecclesiastes 8:6)

2. Build Character

After going through hard times, it is clear that God has the power to take us through anything. Each trail makes us stronger, more faithful, and more thankful for God’s guidance. By suffering now, we can be more prepared for what is to come. These trials test our characters to see just how reliant we are on Christ.

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” (James 1:2-3)

3. Look at the Bigger Picture

It may feel like the end of the world at the time, but there’s so much more to life than this moment of pain. It is hard to not keep our eyes and thoughts on what’s going on at the time, but we must remember that there’s a bigger picture. We have a God that has saved us. We have the promise of Eternity with Christ. There will be no pain and suffering and we will be in the presence of the Lord! Time on Earth goes by so quickly and us believers have bigger and better things to look forward to. We can learn from our hardships, but we must keep our eyes focused on God’s promises of the future!

““For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”” (Jeremiah 29:11)

4. Seek Encouragement

Every hard time will pass. We will never be stuck in a rut forever. Getting through hard times is a lot easier if we can stay encouraged and hopeful that things will work out on our behalf. Feel encouraged knowing that the Lord is with us. He keeps us secure and comforts us always. He will not let evil overcome us!

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.” (Isaiah 43:2)

5. Find Support

In times of weakness, it is comforting to see all the family and friends come together to provide love and support. God provides people in our lives to lift us up and be there for us when problems arise. Even though the situation may be hard, we can always be thankful for the people who are there through thick and thin.

“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity” (Proverbs 17:17)

6. Have Faith

We don’t have the power to overcome difficulties on our own which means all we can do is have faith and rely on God. God promises us peace, joy, love, protection, and comfort when we seek him. He wants us to submit to him and believe that he has the power to carry us through our burdens. God is all-powerful! Put your faith in him!

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

Hi I'm Amanda! I am a Public Relations major at Susquehanna University. My passions include fitness, food, and my faith. My goal is to create content that can influence others in a positive way!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University