Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

During February, the only playlists advertised are full of corny love songs. Not everyone loves this type of music; it even makes some people depressed. In need of a change, I built my own power playlist for every occasion— working out, speed walking to class, studying late at night, or dancing with friends. Some of the songs are new from 2020 while others are classic, feel-good favorites.  

Treat yo self gif
Giphy

1. “The Man” by Taylor Swift

Even if you’re not a major fan of Taylor’s music, these lyrics are still empowering! It’s all about being the best woman you can be while competing in a man’s world. It’s perfect for a day when you want to feel strong and independent. This powerful 2019 bop will make you scream, cry, and shout in gratitude.

Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner gif
Giphy

2. “Good Thing” by Zedd featuring Kehlani

It bothers me that this clever song is so underrated! This 2019 ballad has strong vocals, passionate lyrics, and a beautiful message overall. It’s all about the best reasons to be single! It’s also about self-confidence and why women don’t need men to give them power. I stumbled on this song by accident and isn’t that the best feeling when that happens?!

13 going on 30 gif
Giphy

3. “Maniac” from Flashdance

Okay, if you’ve never seen the movie Flashdance (1983), we have an even bigger problem! Go watch it right now because it is everything a great movie should be. This song in particular plays during one of my favorite scenes. The heroine just lets go and dances her heart out. This song is legendary and will never go out of style!

Meryl Streep Yes Gif
Giphy

4. “Like a Girl” by Lizzo

From the first line about running for president to the last exclamation of “like a girl!” this 2019 bop is certain to go down in history. Frankly, all of Lizzo’s songs are this iconic! “Like a Girl” is about female empowerment and what makes women special. If you take a look at the lyrics, they’re focused on how each woman is special in her own way. Something about this song makes you want to grab all your girlfriends for a karaoke night.

Lizzo Hair Flip
Giphy

5. “6 Inch” by Beyonce featuring The Weeknd

No one ever talks about this amazing 2016 Beyonce song and that makes me so sad! It’s dramatic and badass from the very first line. Beyonce and The Weeknd are a dream team and wow do their voices work well together! Even though the song is about a girl wearing high heels, this song makes me feel intimidating even when I’m wearing Converse sneakers.

Surprised Beyonce
Giphy

6. “Criminal” by Fiona Apple

Speaking of feel-good music, 90s songs will always be there for you! This 1996 song starts off quiet and slow but man does it pack a punch. It’s a little bit on the longer side (5 minutes and 41 seconds) but trust me, it’s worth it. I loved hearing this song in the recent Hustlers movie. Hopefully, that means that Fiona Apple’s songs are making a comeback!

Monica and Rachel high-fiving
Giphy

7. ​”Ain’t Your Mama” by Jennifer Lopez

Again this was a song I found accidentally while surfing through Youtube. The lyrics, while at first glance simple, relay a powerful message. It’s all about being your own woman and not allowing anyone to make you a placeholder. This 2016 song has all the finesse of a 90s song! It’s one of those songs that will get stuck in your head for days in the best way.

Jennifer Lopez New Years gif
Giphy

I'm part time yoga teacher and a full time reader. I never miss an opportunity to listen to audiobooks on a car ride, or to read ebooks during breaks in my classes. I'm a senior at Susquehanna University where my major is creative writing with a minor in women and gender studies.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University