This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

As the leaves begin to change, I always wonder what new things there are to try out to get into the autumn spirit. For some, this time of year allows for self-expression in the form of costumes and face paint. Others enjoy simpler things like apple cider and football games. In my experience though, these are a few fall activities that are a MUST.

Pumpkin Carving

Don’t be afraid to get your hands a little dirty with this traditional fall activity. Carving pumpkins is a trademark “spook season” go to. First you pick out the perfect pumpkin, big or small, cut out the top and scoop out the insides. Sounds a little gross I know, but if you like pumpkin seeds then you’ll have a treat for later! Once the inside has been cleared out you can then cut out any design you want on the pumpkin, place a candle inside and display your work out on the front porch!

Corn Mazes

There are plenty of places that grow corn and crop out specific path ways for people looking for an adventure. This is a personal favorite of mine because I am a lover of puzzles and always looking for a challenge. Mazes also come in various shapes, sizes and amount of time is takes to complete them. Just try not to stray off the path, because who knows what might be lurking beyond the corn!

Hay Rides

Now these are something that can take place in many different settings. Some are strictly through farms and pumpkin patches, and others through the woods for a little more of a thrill. Personally, I enjoy taking a hay ride and feeling the cool autumn breeze against my face as I watch all the scenery pass me by. So if you have some time I would highly recommend trying these out!

Pillsbury Cookies

Though more common during the holiday season, Pillsbury has a selection of cookies for fall. Some have pumpkins, ghosts, witches hats and more! They are a delightful snack and may help keep the ghouls away…if you’re lucky!

Halloween Movies

What makes October different from the rest of the year is that you finally have an excuse to binge all of the horror movies you desire! From Friday The 13th to Monster House, there is something spooky for every age. I absolutely love sitting under a warm blanket and watching my favorite thrillers during this time of year.

Hopefully, if you haven’t already, you’re able to experience just one of the things on this list this fall. There are plenty of places to go to have some autumn fun!

Junior at Susquehanna University Journalism/Photography President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Susqu Class of 2022
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University