Escape To The Land Down Under: New Chum on the Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I am officially the new chum on the block, or a new mate in town. Translation: I am new to Melbourne. Since my time here, I have truly tried to live the Aussie lifestyle. I’ve even tried a little surfing and interacted with wildlife.

I have picked up on some of the lingo and norms within Melbourne. I spent a 30-minute Uber ride to St. Kilda’s Beach talking with the driver, writing down all of the popular slang words that are used here. I will admit the driver was an older man so I am not sure how much of the slang he told me is actually used by the millennials here, but this is the list I have.

1. Jumper is a sweatshirt without a hood.
  2. Dunny is the bathroom.
  3. Macas is McDonald’s.
  4. Cloak is a coat check.
  5. Sunnies are sunglasses.
  6. A chemist is the pharmacy.

Some expressions used here are:

1. Fair dinky means are you for real.
  2. Slip, Slop, Slap. Slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat. Some additions to this saying are Seek and Slide. Seek some shade, slide on some sunnies.
  3. Dry as a dead dingo’s donger should be used when you are expressing how thirsty you are.
  4. I reckon, and/or see what you reckon, means I think.
  5. Bloody ripper means awesome.

There have only been a couple of social norms I have noticed. First, there is no jaywalking. Of course in the city of Philadelphia, where I am used to, jaywalking is also not allowed legally but socially it’s weird if you don’t jaywalk. Here in Aussie, no one jaywalks ever! I was actually yelled at by a very concerned suitemate because I jaywalked across a small street when it was very much evident that no cars were coming anytime soon.

Second is that Australians are very heavy drinkers, which I did not realize before this trip. Not to say that the Australians I’ve met drank every day, however, when they go out, they go hard.

I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University