The Dos and Don’ts of Living with a Difficult Roommate 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

At some point in your college life, you’ll probably encounter some unpleasant people. Whether it be classmates, professors, or the guy at the library who won’t get off his phone, being in such close proximity to so many people is likely to grind some gears. But what if that unpleasant person is your roommate? 

Living with a disrespectful roommate can definitely put a damper on an otherwise great college experience. Even though it’s the end of the school year, it’s still worth taking a look at ways to make the end of your semester more bearable, so you can worry about finals and graduation instead of trying to avoid your roomie. 

Here’s some dos and don’ts that I have found helpful in dealing with unpleasant roommates: 

1. DON’T be passive. Your wants and needs are just as important as your roommate’s, and you deserve for your voice to be heard. Not wanting your roommate to play loud music when you study or have their friends over at three in the morning is perfectly understandable and should be easy to accommodate. 

2. DON’T be passive aggressive. Like being passive, being passive aggressive doesn’t solve anything. Stealing your roommate’s stuff because they steal yours probably won’t send the message that you would like them to stop stealing; it’ll probably just make them mad. Don’t try to get even or one-up. It never works. 

3. DO set boundaries. Roommate agreements, which are usually given out at the beginning of the semester, are a great way to do this. Talking about what bothers you about living with someone else at some point in the semester is a good way to express your thoughts, especially if you’re nervous about talking to them about their behavior directly. 

4. DO go to an RA. No one should have to be scared of the person they live with. If your roommate continues their problematic behavior, or if you’re afraid that your roommate will physically escalate the conversation, go immediately to your RA. They’re trained to help and will help you find a safe space to talk and, if needed, a new room to finish out your semester.

I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.