Wellness > Health

Donating Blood: Not So Scary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

I don’t have a spectacular reason for donating blood. I started when I was 18 and able to donate without parental permission. One reason why I donated blood was that it was an easy way to find out my blood type. If you are ever interested, in Japan, there are little character charts for each blood type. Because I was unable to find out through the doctors, it was easy to just donate blood to find out. My next reason for donating blood is because I wanted to get my National Honors Society volunteer hours as much as possible, and the blood drive from volunteering to giving blood gave me a good couple of hours.

However, over the past couple of years, I had a new view of donating blood. Since I first started, I recently have made my eighth blood donation. This does mean I have donated an average of two times per year. I have gotten a lot more used to the process and the soreness that came with blood drives. I definitely was scared at first, and sometimes, I got nervous beforehand.

You hear a lot of “horror stories” with blood drives. Sometimes, they insert the needle incorrectly. Other times, there is someone who feels nauseous or maybe even faints during the process. I can assure you that it is not the most common thing that happens when you are there. Usually, people come and go feeling well throughout the process. Now, I have had a couple of moments where I am lightheaded, and that is pretty normal after you have donated blood. I will also admit that I have fainted once. It was a few seconds, and I recovered real fast afterward. It had nothing to do with the process but more of my pre-blood drive maintenance. For the record, you are supposed to get a good night’s rest beforehand and in general even when you are not donating blood.

It is not so bad although I know a lot of people who fear needles. Therefore, if you are feeling anxious, I suggest that maybe it is not the time to donate blood. It can get risky, and it is better to play it safe. It is much better to not go than feel faint right before you donate blood.

But if you are able to donate, I think it is a great thing to do. I remember my first time getting a postcard from Red Cross telling me which hospital in New York my blood was sent to. I felt happy and proud that taking half an hour of my life went to a cause that could potentially save lives. I realized that I wanted to donate blood for the sake of being helpful. Therefore, I am so lucky that I went to a college, which hosts blood drives every couple of months.

Blood drives are not scary. You just have to prepare for them. From my research and talking to others, it is super important to eat food with more iron in it beforehand. Start a couple of days beforehand in my opinion. Also, eat a meal before you donate blood too. You do not want to go in on an empty stomach. Remember to hydrate well. It is so important to get those fluids in, which is why after donating, they will tell you that you need to double up on water and juices for two days. Next, sleep is super vital for this process. I am notorious for not getting enough sleep, but it will be a lifesaver when you do this. I learned the hard way how lack of sleep can be detrimental to the process. Fainting is not fun. In general, these are just ways that you should be taking care of yourself. You need to eat, you need to hydrate, and you need to sleep. The point is to keep your body in good condition.

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.