Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Cons of Starting a Netflix Series with Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

We always see cute photos on Instagram of couples watching Netflix together and we always hear the phrase “Netflix and Chill.” Plot twist: it isn’t all that great. Here are five cons of watching Netflix with your partner.

1. One of You Always Falls Asleep

Just when you finally get settled in to watch a show it seems like someone always falls asleep during the first episode you’re watching together. Granted, it’s usually me, but when it isn’t I’m very upset. If you’re the one that stays up, you’re forced to either continue the show without them or stop and try to sleep too. Either way, it’s an unfortunate situation.

2. You Feel Bad Watching the Show Without Them

Recently, my boyfriend and I got really into the show “Trailer Park Boys” and when I was alone or in between classes I really wanted to watch it without him. It’s like you’re cheating on them without involving another person. Whenever I mentioned how I wanted to watch it without him he would get offended. I knew I couldn’t watch without him or he’d be so upset. I was very tempted, and I’m sure I could have gotten away with it, but ultimately, he would’ve found out.

3. You Want to Go to Sleep but They Don’t and Vice Versa

The worst is when you’re ready to go to bed or leave and they want to watch one more episode. Or it’s the other way around and you want them to stay and watch more, but they’re persistent on leaving or sleeping. Either way you feel bad because you don’t want to leave the person, but you also want to sleep. Or, you want them to stay and keep watching but you also want to consider their feelings. Ending a binge is always an awkward time unless you’re on the same page.

4. You Find Out They Watched the Show Without You

This has not happened to me yet, but I would be SO upset if he had ever watched the show without me. The worst part would be if he would spoil the show for me. Having your significant other watch the show without you is like them cheating. I know I just said how I was tempted to watch, but it’s different being the one to watch first. Just know this before you start a show with your S.O.

#5 You’ll Finish the Show Eventually

Okay I know I’ve been saying they’re all the worst, but this might actually be the worst. Just imagine you get into a routine of watching a show every week at the same times and for the same number of episodes. Slowly you get closer and closer to the end of the series, but you aren’t paying attention. You’re both about to watch the next episode and then BOOM. It’s done and now you don’t know what to do. You need to find a new show that will fill the void the last show left. You need to both enjoy it and you’ll need to readapt to a new pattern, genre, and who knows what else.

Netflix and Chill isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Don’t let the media fool you.

SU' 20 • Vanderpump Rules Enthusiast • Dog Fanatic • I'm just a college girl with champagne taste on a beer budget.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University