This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Earlier this year, Susquehanna University announced that students would be returning to campus for the Fall 2020 semester and that our classes would be in-person. As an incoming freshman, I was absolutely thrilled to hear this news because it meant I would actually get to experience college life for the first time. However, the status of the in-person classes quickly changed to an entirely online or a hybrid format, which meant I had to quickly adjust my expectations and come to terms with the fact I wasn’t going to have the college life I dreamed of (yet).

A few weeks into the semester, our campus started to see a rise in covid cases, and more restrictions were added to the already existing ones. Entire residence buildings were put under quarantine for days or even weeks at a time, which felt incredibly isolating. Many of my friends, myself included, felt like we had no freedom and we didn’t know what do to with ourselves. A vast majority of club activities were moved online and we were no longer allowed to go into other residence halls that we didn’t live in, which really limited how often we could see our friends. While I absolutely agree with all the safety measures the school is taking to protect everyone, there is no denying that life here does not feel normal, and our mental health was suffering because of it.

The school then presented the option to go home because of the given circumstances. At first, I was conflicted because I wanted to stay on campus with my friends and try to maintain the relationships I had formed, but I soon realized that I would be staying for other people instead of myself. I felt like I was the only one who felt really alone despite being surrounded by people. But after talking to others in my dorm hall and learning they were feeling this way and considering moving back home, too, it helped me reach the decision that I should move back and prioritize my mental health.

I was extremely fortunate that my friends at Susquehanna supported my decision and all of my professors have been understanding and have accommodated my needs throughout the entire process of moving back home. Even though I am no longer physically in class, I still feel like they care about my success and are willing to work with me.

While this is certainly not how I pictured my first semester of college, I am really happy with my choice, and I don’t regret my decision to move. I genuinely feel a lot better, and I’m better equipped to handle my schoolwork while working on bettering myself while being at home. I still talk to my college friends every day, and I know that while I may be a little over 100 miles away, distance means nothing when you have friends who you love and who love you, too.

Hey! I'm Nicole and I'm a sophomore Biochemistry and Sociology Major with a Women and Gender Studies Minor at Susquehanna University. When I'm not writing articles for HerCampus or in a science lab, you can catch me with friends, going to Dunkin, or cuddling up with my dog.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University