jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Places to Visit During Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Since 1976, every U.S. President has officially declared February as Black History Month. During the month, we celebrate African-Americans and their contributions to society in various ways, like a Black History Month theme week here at Her Campus Susqu. It is important to remember what makes this month worth celebrating and why we need Black History in America. Here are some places in the U.S. with various historical landmarks, museums, and festivals honoring the lives of African-Americans in the United States.

Atlanta, Georgia

Being the birthplace of Martin Luther King Jr., Atlanta is rich in celebrating African-American achievements and accomplishments. Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Park features his birth home, the church in which he preached, and he and his wife Coretta’s final resting place. Also in Atlanta is the National Center for Civil and Human Rights, an attraction with exhibits dedicated to the Civil Rights Movements of 1964 as well as other civil rights campaigns. As far as celebrations go, Atlanta is home to the Civil Rights Parade and other various Black History Month Programs at the Children’s Museum of Atlanta.

Memphis, Tennessee

Also, pertaining to the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis is built around the assassination site of MLK. It is more than just a memorial for Martin Luther King Jr. and holds over 250 historical artifacts pertaining to the Civil Rights Movement. As far as culture goes, the historic Sun Studios in Memphis, known as “the birthplace of rock n’ roll,” is open seven days a week for tours. Artists of color such as B.B. King have recorded at the studio, making it worth the while to visit. Another music-based attraction in Memphis is the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, home to exhibits paying tribute to some of America’s finest soul artists.

Montgomery, Alabama

Similarly to Atlanta, many crusades of the Civil Rights Movement occurred in Montgomery. The site in which Rosa Parks refused to give up her bus seat is now known as the Rosa Parks Museum run by Troy University. The Freedom Rides Museum in Montgomery is recognized as a part of the U.S. Civil Rights Trail, an American experience that journeys through monumental destinations of the Civil Rights Movement. Montgomery also pays tribute to those who lost their lives fighting for equal rights in the Civil Rights Memorial Center and the Legacy Museum and National Memorial for Peace and Justice.

These three cities are just the beginning of a long list of places to visit that celebrate the lives and achievements of African-Americans during this important month in American society. Honoring Black History Month and remembering why we celebrate is extremely valuable and worthwhile.

19 year-old music student living life and having fun!!!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University