The Benefits of Social Media

Social media is often downplayed for its negative aspects. Generations older than our own tend to emphasize the negative components of social media, influencing our perspective but allowing us to be aware of its dangers. It is important to be aware of these dangers, such as cyberbullying, addiction, procrastination, perfectionism, and more. It is also important to know what is best for you in terms of how involved you should become on social media. However, within this article, I would like to highlight the overlooked benefits of social media.  

At the start of my college career, I viewed the future as being quite narrow. It seemed as though I could only have one passion and one career in which I dived into that passion wholeheartedly. However, I came to the realization that things just don’t work that way anymore. In the past, that may have been the traditional course of human life, but the future holds much more opportunity and prosperity through technology. Social media allows anyone to indulge in any passions or hobbies that they would like, whether or not those hobbies relate to their careers. Anyone can create content based on their passions through blog-writing, video-editing, or other forms of content creation, sharing their knowledge with others. Social media gives both students and professionals the opportunity to learn and indulge in whatever they want. They are also able to share their creations with the world and feel as though they are a part of something special. One can easily gain feedback on work from others whether they are close or far. Not only does this open up our minds and allow us to be aware of other cultures, but it also allows us to feel more connected.

These notions relieve me. Even if my profession doesn’t incorporate everything that I love, I can easily find ways to integrate my passions into my life. I can do this on my own with tools that are available to me. In fact, I only need one tool that can rest in the palm of my hand. If successful, I can even profit off of content creation while indulging in something that I love. More opportunities are available to me, including those international that I can research on my own. We are no longer limited to searching for opportunities on a local or national scale. In fact, I can learn about anything that I want in any location and create content in any area of interest. That’s incredible, and that explains why most people don’t stick with just one job. We have the ability to bounce around and try new things. I can be whoever I want to be and create any kind of personal brand for myself through social media. 

Even so, it is important to step away from social media from time to time in order to remember what is right in front of you. Technology brings issues such as fake news and skewed perceptions if sources are not valid. That being said, one should remain wary when using social media, but one should also recognize the potential that it brings.

Hey, there! My name is Allyson Ennis and I am a sophomore student at Susquehanna University. While studying business and communications, I pursue hobbies in writing, dancing, reading, and video-editing!