samuel branch ZPVisr0s hQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samuel branch ZPVisr0s hQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

It is April 2020, and as of right now, we are amidst global pandemic. Coronavirus has hit most countries worldwide, and people are starting to take it seriously. Politicians have placed “stay at home” orders for most of the US until April 30th. As non-essential businesses shut down in an attempt to flatten the curve, essential ones must stay open. I am part of one of those essential businesses. I am an EMT.

Working as an EMT during a global pandemic is different than a normal day to say the least. If proper precautions are not taken, the entire staff is put at risk. As you can see, this pandemic is not just your common cold, but a respiratory disease with more extreme symptoms. There are precautions that essential employees, like myself, take everyday. They consist of: washing hands FREQUENTLY, wearing infectious disease kits when there’s a possibility of exposure to COVID-19, wearing an N95 mask and gloves to every single call, disinfecting the ambulance after every call, and many many more. 

As an EMT, I am unable to participate in the “stay at home” order when I have a shift to work. I take a shower, strap my hand sanitizer to my pants, and I’m off to the station. When said shift is over, I come home, strip completely naked on my back porch, so that my clothes don’t touch anything before the washer, and get into the shower. I use antibacterial body soap, in hopes to get every germ off my body before I see my family. My clothes get washed every night with Oxyclean. My boots NEVER come in the house, but they are sprayed with rubbing alcohol every night. These are the precautions taken everyday and night by healthcare workers risking their health to save you.

Doctors, Nurses, First Responders, etc. risk their health everyday in order to aid others. They, too, have families at home praying that they come home safely and healthy every single day. Please continue to do your part in staying home when told. Don’t hang out with friends and family that don’t live with you everyday. Don’t go shopping unless absolutely necessary. Let’s continue to do our part in flattening the curve.

Hi! I'm Kaitlyn! I am a psychology major at Susquehanna University.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University