This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Susquehanna University has many options for students who want to make a difference, but few are quite as unique as the Beekeeping Club. The club was founded with SU alum Josh Levesque’s initiative and formed with the help of fellow students and faculty members. It has existed for two or three years but was officially recognized as a club last semester, Spring 2018.

Beekeeping Club, although young, has already begun making a local impact. “Bee club has impacted the SU community because it brought an awareness of our insect pollinators by becoming a Bee Campus USA affiliated campus,” said club president Katherine Petrik. One role of a Bee Campus USA affiliate is to inform their community about the importance of pollinators.

In fact, the club is currently in the process of planning an event “to raise awareness for pollinators as a requirement of the Bee Campus USA certification.” The event will be held during the colder months when there is less beekeeping to do.

On a smaller scale, though, Beekeeping Club simply aims to inform its members. “We try engaging and teaching new members the ins and outs of beekeeping,” said Katherine. “There are times on the weekends that we meet out at the hives to do the more physical aspect of beekeeping like hive inspections.”

This is a small club, garnering only about 20 members. Although matters of conservation and ecology are science-oriented, any major can join the club. “Anyone who has any interest in bees for a variety of reasons like the ecological importance of them and their ability to pollinate [can join],” said Katherine. “Also, this is the club for people who want to keep bees in the future.”

One interesting fact about beekeeping is that bee suits aren’t actually “sting-proof.” Instead, they are meant to make you look less threatening to bees, lowering the likelihood of a sting. People who are interested in beekeeping might be afraid of getting stung. Katherine said, however, “So far, I’ve only been stung once, and this was without a suit on.”

Beekeeping club is currently facing the funding and equipment challenges that come with being a new club. They are also grappling with how to handle the fruit of their efforts: the honey. “This entails figuring out a name for it, bottling our honey for the first time, and making executive decisions on how we are going to distribute it,” explained Katherine.

It holds its meetings every Thursday in Bogar 115 at 7 p.m. Although the club is more active in the summer months, meetings are held all throughout the school year.

This club does truly meaningful, fulfilling work. But sometimes, according to Katherine, Beekeeping Club is about having fun. “I think other members enjoy the hands-on experience with bees and how fascinating they are once you learn more about how bees function and contribute to the environment.”

I'm a sophomore Publishing & Editing and Graphic Design double major as well as an editor at and the treasurer of Her Campus Susquehanna. I love to draw, read, and play video games in my free time.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University